chapter eight

I didn't leave the hospital until it had entered the AM hours. They placed me on a set of crutches, having to teach me how to walk around in them while I could hardly keep my eyes open.

I can barely remember how I had gotten in and out of the car, or how I managed to climb up the stairs and into my bed. I just remember the realization of how I didn't know how to go down the stairs with them. I simply gave up and pushed them down, watching as they tumbled over each other the further they descended.

This caused dad to walk over to the stairwell, peeking up to see me trying to slide down on my butt. It was perhaps one of the most embarrassing moments of my life ever since we went out to buy me my first training bra.

This was Saturday morning. I'm thankful for the school having elevators for those who need them because I found butt scooting to be highly effective.

While Cadenza and dad have been highly sympathetic towards my newly found mobile state, Laurance I could push down a well.

There are numerous saved snaps of Laurance filming my pained state at the hospital, most failing from Cadenza's hand. Others consist of me simply failing to escort myself around. There's one of me coming down the stairs, and he had posted that one.

Despite this, he has made numerous comments about allowing him to borrow my crutches and hold races to see who can crutch around the fastest. Cadenza has decided to handle my crutches for me from now on.

"You look like you're going to fall backwards."

Dante has never failed me to state the obvious. The ability to control his words and think before he speaks often fails him, but he's humored nonetheless. Many other things make up for that fatal flaw.

"I've been more concerned with the pain in my armpits than noticing how terrible my posture is, but thank you for bringing that up to me, Dante." My backpack is a bit heavy. It has the first half of the day's work inside of it, and the textbooks that I absolutely need don't help one bit. I'd throw them down the stairs if I could to lighten the load. "My damn backpack weighs as much as I do. I'll be late because of the added weight. Not because of my slowness."

Soft hums in response erupt from the small group. I glance up at the clock and come to the conclusion that I should start to crutch now if I want to make it across the school in time for class.

The moment a shadow casts over me is also the moment I can feel my backpack being tugged from my back. With a skeptical glance, I allow for Garroth to take my backpack off and sling it across his shoulder, becoming one with his very own.

"You certainly don't weigh a lot if that's true."
I roll my eyes, secretly thankful for the sudden weight lifted from my shoulders. Laurance visibly stiffens before he begins to stir. He's quick to tug on my backpack from Garroth's possession, demanding that he have control over it and not a "blond haired himbo" who hits on his sister.

The two bicker for a few moments before I look for Vylad. He seems to have zoned out of this conversation, an annoyed expression dancing across his lips.

"I could've carried it," Vylad says, realizing I'm staring in his direction. "We have this class together."

"They're both himbos," I sigh, preparing myself to crutch away. The moment the sound of crutches releasing from the floor sounds, the two look up at my retreating figure.

"Hey, where are you going?" Laurance asks, hand remaining on my backpack strap.

"Class. Maybe I can get there before the bell rings."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

"Gar, I'm getting tired."

Trying to get into Garroth's head is truly something hard to do. He came over today, determined to get me outside for a breath of fresh air. With Laurance being gone, Cadenza agreed with the mindset exercise would be good for me,

She forgets crutches hurt my armpits when I use them for a while, and I'm a baby when it comes to the cold. I'll bundle myself up until I need to up a pants size, and I'll complain about how tight my jeans got.

Garroth is practically immune to this. He doesn't look winded in the slightest, and the wind that nips at the top of his ears and nose don't seem to bother him. To Laurance, it's a runner thing. To Garroth, it's a Garroth thing.To me, I want to sit down.

Getting dressed on its own is an accomplishment. This is something different.

"We're right by a bench," he says, waiting for me to sit down and places my crutches alongside us. "We can sit here for a while. A break would be nice."

"For you or for me?" I ask.

"I want to be selfish and say me."

Silence falls between us. His attention appears to be elsewhere, so I look off to the side to throw myself into my own thoughts. Frankly, these past two weeks I've been thrown into a loop. Three, if you count the week of homecoming.

The week of homecoming, Garroth picks me up from school everyday. He gives me his jersey and takes me to homecoming. Most people stop there. Then, a week later, I hurt myself and he fights to carry my bag around despite earning a tardy here and there for class.

Now, he shows up to my house and asks to take me for a walk. The ask made me feel like a dog, but I went and dressed myself nonetheless. He didn't want Laurance. He wanted me.

So why the hell won't he talk to me?

Suddenly I'm annoyed.

"Okay, Garroth. What the actual fuck?" I ask him, watching as his attention is broken from the bare tree in front of us. He looks startled, nervous even. "You carry my stuff around. Take a walk with me. And now you don't even talk to me. What is going on?"

"I'm trying to think of how to ask you to be my girlfriend."

Smooth. Real smooth, Alex.

"What?"

It's evident he's grown nervous. His hand goes behind his neck, rubbing it. Garroth's attention isn't on me anymore.

"I asked your father for permission."

I blink, questioning why he asked my father. I'm charmed, but there's a piece of me that wants to tease him for his old fashioned ways.

"He told me to ask Laurance. Laurance said no," Garroth continues, slowly returning his attention back to me. He looks serious now, reaching for one of my hands, cupping it within both of his. I can't help but to stare at the new touch. "I shouldn't have to need his permission to date someone, though, so his denial doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would've."

I didn't think I'd ever end up with Garroth. Hell, I didn't think I'd feel the way I do regarding Garroth, so the idea of Laurance being against this was a frequent thought in my mind.

"Would I be worth the risk of your friendship?"

He stares at me blankly, nearly laughing at the question. "If I ask you out, would you be convinced I'm serious about this?"

"I guess."

His smile is soft, charming. He looks genuinely happy.

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

Excitement swirls within me. I can't help but to look silly when I agree. My arms wrap around him, but it results in both my crutches falling over and a laugh.

Laurance is going to shoot me.