Chapter 1: The Greenie

The alarm rung, loud and clear, for two whole minutes. Tributes looked around in confusion, and then began sprinting towards The Box.

Alby looked at Thomas, his brow crinkled.

"That's weird," he said quietly

"What's weird?" Thomas asked. Alby didn't reply. He ran towards The Box, Thomas following. Across the Glade, Newt ran towards it too, looking at Alby.

"What's going on?" Newt asked Alby quietly, dismissing Thomas with a nod.

"I'm just as puzzled as you. You and I both know it's happened before, but there has to be some reason why they stopped doing it."

Alby shook his head. Suddenly the metal below them began to rattle. Something was hurtling upwards, rattling on the rails. Finally, it came to a stop. Newt peered down into the box.

"Holy-" he said. He backed off. Alby leaned forwards too.

"Go get Lyra. Now," Alby commanded.

"Forget it, I'm already here." The Gladers immediately quietened and parted for her. Thomas stared at her in shock. She stared back.

"So you're the Greenie, huh?" She said. She was tall, about Thomas' height, with incredible golden blonde hair, braided messily over her shoulder. She wore long, dark, tight pants, and tall hunting boots. Strapped to the sides of the boots were twin daggers. "I'm Lyra."

"Uh, Thomas," Thomas stumbled over his words. He stared at her. Lyra was incredibly gorgeous. She had an amazing body, perfect features, striking green eyes and lush blonde hair. "I... I didn't know there were girls here."

"There aren't. There is a girl here, Greenie." Lyra corrected.

"Actually, Lyra, not anymore." Newt stepped back, beckoning her forwards. Lyra stared into the box.

"Oh my..." Lyra glanced up at Newt, and a look of understanding passed between them. "We've got to get her out of there."

It took almost ten minutes but finally, the girl was hauled out of The Box and onto the ground. Lyra and Newt knelt over her. Suddenly, she jerked upright. Her brilliant blue eyes flew open and Lyra gasped.

"Everything is about to change."

The new girl flopped back down, raising her right fist. In it was a piece of paper. Lyra stared at the girl in shock, Newt opening her first and removing the paper.

She's the last one. Ever.

"Lyra," Newt whispered. He showed her the paper. Lyra read it.

"Clear out, everyone!" Alby's deep voice bellowed. "Except you, Greenie. You stay here."

Thomas was surprised at this, but even more surprised when Lyra didn't move either. It was as though she knew she had a right to be here. And Newt and Alby didn't comment. Clearly he still didn't know everything.

Lyra turned to Newt, tears in her eyes. He put his arms around her, resting his head onto of hers. Her voice was quite but steady, and Thomas still heard it.

"Her eyes, Newt!" Lyra said raggedly. "Thalia-her eyes...."

"I know," Newt sighed. "Lyra, I know."

He kissed the top of her head. Thomas interpreted this, slowly taking it in. Clearly Newt was much more comfortable and close to Lyra then the rest of them. Thomas realised there was a sort of bond between the three of them-Alby, Newt and Lyra. He made a mental note to ask about Lyra later.

"We have to get her to the infirmary. Med-jacks!" Alby called back to the crowd. Two boys came over, and together carried the girl back to the infirmary. Alby stood grimly.

"C'mon, Thomas. Let's take a walk." His tone made it sound like an order. He took one last look at Newt and Lyra, talking quietly, standing about a foot apart.

Thomas ran to catch up with Alby. "Hey, what's up with that girl Lyra? How come nobody told me there was a girl here?"

Alby grunted. "Not now, kid. There's a lot of history there. Just stay away."

His tone made it clear that topic was closed.

-----------------------------------------------

"Everything is about to change, Newt, can't you tell? Two tributes haven't come so close together since-well, since Thalia and I. And you saw how that ended! Something big is going down here, and it's not going to have a happy ending." Lyra whispered frantically to Newt.

"I know, I know. We're going to have to be ready, all of us. The Greenies, Thomas and the girl both... there's something different about them. It's now or never." Newt stared at the maze. Lyra was silent. "Hey, Lyre-bird, what's wrong?" Only he could call her that and get away with it.

"I just-I'm scared of losing you. Or Alby... but after all that's happened, I don't think I could take it anymore. All that these WICKED people have put us through, it's just not fair!" Lyra brushed tears angrily away from her eyes.

"Hey," Newt brushed the tears away with his thumb, holding her face in his hands. "You aren't gonna lose me, you hear?" She nodded sadly. Newt leaned down and kissed her. "Better get back to work or Alby or have our necks. I'll see you later."

Lyra laughed shakily, brushing herself off. She sprinted off towards the Maps Room. Newt gazed after her, watching her run as lightly as a gazelle.

"Oi! Lover boy! You get over here right this minute!" Newt turned, glaring. Alby winked and beckoned.

"You watch that girl, shank. Thomas was asking questions about her, but I didn't offer any answers. She won't stay anonymous for long though, little angel-devil that she is..."