Chapter 122 : Secret, which hidden forever

"You can go back now." Nodding steward Lu immediately leaved the place. But, behind the slightly closed door, he wait patiently.

What he was going to do today , he completely leaves on the hand of the destiny. He already did whatever he could but few things remain unclear. It's depends on the empress , and her curiosity. If she found it .... he just smirked. It's better of her.

Meantime , taking a deep breath Edna's eyes wander all around the imperial study room, it's quite and somehow peculiar. When you are alone in this room, the room seems a lot bigger and never ending.

Seeing the table, the ink stone and few scrolls, suddenly she misses her husband. If he was there, he might be sitting here or writing on this exact table. Without the owner, this place seems bland.

Shaking her head, she started walking towards the bookshelf as she was particularly here for searching for some of previous records of harem. Because if she remembers well, many important documents were sent here by the empress dowager when the empress wasn't appointed. And she let them stay here because she is unsure about having her own study room.

Recently many of imperial ladies complained that their wages remain same according to the method of previous empress which is wrong. Out of anger from daily harem fights , empress dowager previously decided for a equal salary for all of the woman which is even more wrong. From first rank consort to a Madame, everyone get equal wages, which is really unacceptable now especially. They requested to empress dowager Susan but she never listen after declaring that and it made only worse outcome by only position as title remain separate but salary ,everyone getting same. There should have a separation on amount of each wages regarding their titles , if not then what about their worth for particular position? Emperor already treated them equally, shouldn't there have a differences in monthly wages at least !

While many complained, many pleas to Edna as well. Because of this same wages, a upper rank concubine always felt herself equal to a lower rank madam. Listening to their views, Edna decides to give them justice. This is not new, there have several records of the same treatment policy of harem in the history of Hui. As Hui emperor believed on the family harmony and equality, except the legal wife and consort, every harem woman were equally treated. There have several mention about female emperor, behalf of her husband or princes, becoming ruler of the Hui. But, searching for equality really turned the situation of royal family upside down and their position became doubtable. Hence, considering the unwillingness of harem ladies, Edna intended to search the history of Hui in the imperial study. Maybe she can find some report book mentioning the disadvantage of this system so that she can abolish it without hurting the feelings of empress dowager as she, herself started this equal wage system.

It's getting late. Edna was unable to find anything. There had bearly mention of any unwillingness of this method. It's hard for her, when disappointment and disapproval was written all over the faces of harem members. It's good that emperor was being considerate, but disagreement was blowing inside.

It's been long already but none of books from imperial study hall kept information regarding this matter. Sighing Edna shook her head. This highly guarded imperial study kept many important documents, but not what she was searching for! Neither she could contact the department of sacred books because searching from past when emperor isn't present, may be they will hesitate. Thankfully, she can still enter the imperial study with her status.

Unknowingly, taking a book out from a bookshelf, she found a weird looking box. As soon as she touches it, the bookshelves divided into two. In shock, she stepped back.

Taking a deep breath, slowly she put her step inside the place between the two parts of bookshelf. It was even more shocking for her to find various bookselves in row, each containing scrolls. Opening her mouth wide, she looked inside and behind her.