Chapter 2: First practice

I woke up at 5am to get an hour workout in before I head to my first class ever of being in college, I am pretty nervous but I know I'll get through it

I woke up at 5am to get an hour workout in before I head to my first class ever of being in college, I am pretty nervous but I know I'll get through it. After my first class I have around 2 hours before my first practice in track which I am also pretty nervous for as I hope people will like me and think I'm good enough. I know I said I'm pretty good and I am, I'm really good but I don't know what the talent is like out here. Stanford is meant to be one of the best colleges for track and field which is why I chose it, so the competition must be pretty good.

I got ready for the day, dressing in sport attire; nike pro shorts, sports bra and a hoodie to go over top. The weather isn't really warm but it isn't really cold either but it's sunny so opted with shorts. I got my stuff together and decided to head to my first class.

When I got to the auditorium it was already half full which caused my nerves to kick in. I looked around for an area with mostly empty seats and sat down. Great start on becoming a new person Ffion. Just as I was pulling my laptop out of my bag a girl sat down next to me. She had dirty blonde hair, brown eyes and tanned skin; the complete opposite of what I was. My hair was ginger which sometimes looked strawberry blonde, I had fair-tan freckled skin which complemented my emerald green eyes. I was 5'6, the girl sitting besides me looked a bit shorter. She was gorgeous.

"Hey, do you mind if I sit here?", she was very bubbly.

"Yeah, sure" I said, I couldn't exactly say no.

"Thanks! I'm Cara, what's your name?..Wait do you play a sport here? Me too!".

"I'm Seren and yes I do track, what about you?" I asked.

"Unusual but pretty name, where does it come from? Wait really? I do track too! Wanna go to practice together later? I only know a few people here."

"It's welsh name, from the UK. And yeah I'd love to since I literally know one here, I'm a loner at the moment."

"Well now you know me and you have officially made your first friend at Stanford. Also, me and my friends are meeting up later before practice, do you wanna join? You should like them."

I contemplated for a moment, this was so out of my comfort zone but then I remembered a part of why I'm here and so without a second thought I said, "Yes".

"Great!" Cara said, smiling from ear to ear.

The class flown by and wasn't that interesting since it was the first lesson of the semester which consisted of loads of powerpoint and introductions. Me and Cara spoke often throughout the hour asking each other questions, mine mostly consisting of what the people are like here and whether they are nice. She said they are all pretty chill except from the few odd ones which is understandable. We made our way to the Starbucks on campus which was where she had planned to meet up with her friends before practice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starbucks was crowded with people trying to find table to sit with their friends and people queuing for their drink. Cara turned around to me and asked if she would get me and her drinks before the line got too big, she gave me 10 bucks and pointed to a table with a few people at and said she will be there, so I agreed.