Chapter 9: Heart problems

It has been a week since my last conversation with Noah, I was constantly replaying our exchanged words over and over again in my mind

It has been a week since my last conversation with Noah, I was constantly replaying our exchanged words over and over again in my mind. I saw him the day after at his first hockey practice, which by the way he was really good and I mean really good but I never got chance to talk with him or any of the group as I had to leave pretty early because I had an assignment due. I've seen him a few times when I enter or leave my apartment but they are just innocent waves and half smiles.

My first competition is coming up today in athletics, it's pretty soon for this to be happening but it's just a friendly competition between a neighbouring college; nothing serious, although I am kind of nervous.
I'm meeting Amelia and Cara in Starbucks before we go there with the guys which has become our regular hang out spot. I look at the time and realise I've only got 20 minutes until I need to be there so I quickly get changed, throwing my team hoodie on over my team sports bra and tight sports shorts. Although I'm nervous, whenever I get changed into my gym wear it always gives me a confident boost since it shows off my abs that I've worked my ass off for since I started competing. Why not show off what I've worked so hard for?

I end up meeting up with the group 5 minutes late and they don't hesitate to point it out. Being on time is something I really need to work on, my time management skills are not it but hey, everyone has something about them they need to improve.

"I think this is the closest you've ever been to being on time Ser." Amelia says while looking at her Apple Watch.

"Yeah yeah I know, I just lost track of time." I say while trying to regain my breath. Although I'm really fit from all the running I do, sometimes my heart takes a toll on me which causes me to become more out of breath than usual. I just need to take it easy until it's time for me to compete and use my asthma pump.
Cara and Amelia have seen me use it before and I just told them it was asthma even though I don't have it, I don't want them knowing what's wrong with me. I don't want them to worry at my expense. I take my asthma pump out and take a deep breath in while taking a puff, all three guys look at me weirdly.

"What? Never seen an asthma pump before?" I ask.

"No it's not that, how do you run if you have asthma?" Dom asks.

"Yeah, isn't that dangerous?" Jake asks.

"Umm probably but I've been doing it for like..forever. Nothing has ever happened." I shrug my shoulders.

They don't ask further questions as we decide to make our way to the track; I'm running the 100m and 200m today which I'm confident about except I haven't competed in 200m since being here so all I've been doing is running it in practice, so hopefully it was all worth it.

Cara, Amelia and I all go to warm up with our other teammates while looking at the order of events; looks like the 200m is the second event and the 100m is the last event again. Good. I'll have time to catch my breath.

Cara and Amelia are up first doing the 1500m, they both place in the top 5. I will never understand how they can run such a long distance in a short time. My heart could never, I'm lucky to be even doing the events I do now and that tires me out.