Chapter 10: You're lying

Seeing Ren cross that finish line I knew something was up when she didn't boast her win straight after like she done the last time

Seeing Ren cross that finish line I knew something was up when she didn't boast her win straight after like she done the last time. When she doubled over and started coughing I realised that it was her asthma, how did no one else realise? Especially Cara and Amelia. I only done what I thought was natural and that was helping her, so I practically sprinted to her bag next to the track and got her inhaler. I could see the pain ease from her face almost instantly but she still wasn't right so that's why I'm in the nurses office with her. Right now.

She is still panting like a dog but the nurse comes in a few seconds later and asks her what's wrong. "I think I just had an asthma attack that's all, I didn't have my inhaler near me." She says quickly.

"Are you experiencing any chest pains or tightness?" the nurse asks.

"A little bit but it has gotten a lot better within the last 10 minutes."

She's lying. I know she's lying and I can tell she's still in pain but why is she trying to act better than she actually is?

The nurse gives her a curt nod as if to say she doesn't believe her either. She pulls Ren's medical records up on her computer in front of her, "Well, according to your records you've never been clinically diagnosed with asthma but you do have a very serious hea..."

Ran instantly jumps out of her seat agitated, "Look, I'm fine. I just didn't prepare myself for this race as well as I should of, I didn't pace myself properly. I know next time that I won't make that mistake again. Thank you but can I go now?".

The nurse looks at Ren for a moment and sighs, "Well I can't keep you here, you're free to go."

I open the door, I'm already outside the room when I hear the nurse quietly say something to Ren, "If it's getting to much then you need to go to the hospital before its too late."

What does she mean by that? Is she sick? No she can't be, she wouldn't be running otherwise and she certainly would not be the best at it.

We get outside the room when she says, "Well thank you for coming with me but I'm fine now, so I'll see you around?" Is she serious?

"Bullshit." I deadpan.

"Excuse me?"

"You're not fine. You're still breathing heavy, your hands are shaking and you're cold."

"So what I'm cold? That doesn't mean I'm not fine." She states.

"It's boiling outside Ren. What did she mean by you going to the hospital?" I cross my arms.