Chapter Seventy-One

Cara jerked her hand away from him, unease rolling off of her. Ivy watched as Tyler brought her closer to him, his arm wrapping around her protectively. Quietly, he bent to whisper something in Cara's ear.

A faint, "Are you okay?"

Ivy turned back towards Max Peters. He was looking back at her, almost testing to see what her reaction was. Of course, she thought, he only wanted to rile Ivy up. His eyes flickered to her neck where Harry's love bite sat on her skin for everyone to see. His face hardened for a quick moment before he turned back towards the other couple.

"Excuse my dear friends." Max grinned at Cara and Tyler, holding out his hand for the latter. "I'm Max Peters."

It took him a moment, but Tyler did eventually shake the man's hand. Even if it did look like it pained him. "Tyler." He introduced, "And, this is Cara, my girlfriend."

"Ah, the other Malone sister." Max slid his gaze back to Cara's with an appreciative glimmer in his eyes, "What beautiful genetics your family has."

The creepiness of that statement didn't slide past anyone. Cara looked over at Ivy, a silent conversation between them. Subtly, Ivy shook her head, telling her how unfriendly they really were.

"What do you want?" Harry asked bluntly, his fingers inching towards his belt where his Glock rested.

"C'mon, Styles, no need for the hostility." Peters gestured widely, "This is a celebration. Loosen up."

"It is quite the celebration." Ivy noted, curling her body into Harry's side. Her palm rested on his chest, showing off the massive wedding ring she wore while out in public. Unfortunately, her real ring was tucked safely away in her locked jewelry box at home, this dress not conducive to hiding a necklace. "It's a prestigious honor to be invited to the museum's exhibit on opening night. Some people wait decades to get on the list."

Peters stared down at her, his grin fading slightly at the sight of her so close to her husband. He understood where she was going with her statement. It wasn't all that veiled, the meaning of it, so he said, "I was lucky enough to impress the curator. He's a regular at one of my establishments."

"Mr. Fairfax frequents strip joints, does he?" Ivy cocks her head, "I wonder if his wife knows about that."

It was a thinly veiled threat to cut off one of Peters' connections, and, once again, he understood.

"It's a gentleman's club." He corrected, "And, no, he's a fan of seafood. He's a regular at one of my restaurants."

"You own a restaurant?" Cara interjected.

Ivy glanced at her, surprised she spoke up. Cara looked uncomfortable, but she was trying to mask it.

"I own several." Peters said with an air of importance, "A lounge on the top floor of the Moonscape" - a skyscraper office building with shops and restaurants throughout the forty-five floors - "and a seafood house near the docks. I've also got a steakhouse opening up soon in the business sector."

That was some new information, Ivy thought. Harry squeezed her hip, and noted, "Seafood? Is that Harbor?"

"It is." Peters responded icily, not looking at him.

Ivy bristled at the disrespect.

"I've heard of that place." Cara said awkwardly, eyes moving between Ivy, Harry, and Max Peters. "I heard the lobster is amazing."

"It is. We get them fresh from Port City every morning."

"Port City?" Harry questioned, "Why not here in Queenstown? We have some of the best lobsters in the world."