Ch: 10

I stood in the middle of the council chambers, with all the Jedi Council looking at me from their places upon their seats. Master Windu had just called me into the room after I had to wait a couple of minutes in the hall as he wanted to speak with the council before bringing me in. Under all their gazes, I felt like they were judging me as the room was void of all sounds.... When finally, after what seemed like an eternity, one of them spoke up.

"Here, know why you are, do you...?" Master Yoda was the first to speak. I didn't need to speak as I knew that he knew that I did not know why exactly I was here. "Master Windu, well he spoke of you. Ready, we think you are...are you...?"

"Ready for what, Master...?" I questioned him, uncertain about where this was leading.

"To join the Jedi Council." Master Windu was the first to speak up, utterly confusing me. "If you would like, that is."

"But the council already has its twelve members," I stated in utter confusion. "And besides...I've only just been made a Jedi Knight." As I looked around the room, I watched as some of the Masters softened their gazes along me as if pleased by my answer. At the fact that I wasn't jumping at the chance to join...that I was questioning it. They probably were as well but they seemed to have mostly made up their minds about me...it's only the little shreds of doubt that I see in them.

"Full, the council may seem." Master Yoda informed me. "It is not...is it...?" He then motioned toward a chair, an empty chair...a chair that has always been empty.

The chair looked the same as the others save for two emblems embroidered along its backpiece...the symbols were old...very old. There were three of them in total. The one in the center was the largest and its symbol stood for the Grey Jedi. The small symbol diagonally down and to the right of it stood for the Light side of the Force. While the small symbol diagonally down and to the left side of the Grey Jedi symbol stood for the Dark side of the Force. The three symbols weren't that well known, Ashlyn had once taught them to me.

"But that has always been empty," I informed them of the chair. No one really knew why it was empty...just that it was...that it's always been.

"For there was no one that could possibly take it...now there is." Another Member of the council spoke up. "You, a Grey Jedi."

"What has this got to do with me being a Grey Jedi...?" I questioned them. "And did you, or did you not want me to hide who I am...what I am...?!"

"It was wrong of us to force you to hide yourself." Master Windu seemed to tell me. After all...that was originally his idea. He didn't want me flaunting my abilities all over the Jedi Temple...not that that's even in my character for me to do.

"Take it, only a Grey Jedi can." Master Yoda informed me.

"In the old texts lies truths about them." Master Windu started to explain it to me. "They were once a part of the Jedi Order and their Grandmaster, whoever it would be, would sit on the High Council...adding a thirteenth member to the Jedi council."

"Reinstate this suborder, you may." Master Yoda informed me. "But careful selections, you must make if so. A Grey Jedi, not everyone is meant to be." Only after some brief silence, to let this information sink down into my brain, did he dare to speak. "What say you, my old Padawan?"

"Masters...." I spoke as I look around the room, my tone seemed to betray the fact that I wasn't going to accept their proposal. "I'm honored you think I'm ready." They all looked at me, a little confused at where I was getting at. About time I made them just a little bit confused, as they've made me. "I accept."

"Then take your place, Jedi Master Nova Amidala." Master Windu informed me.

I looked at the chair before I slowly walked over toward it and sat down. From there, the others seemed to discuss the state of the Order...most of which I only seemed to listen to.

So this is what it's like, being on the Council...quite boring. I mostly stared out along the huge window of the room, out at the cityscape below.

So...the Grey Jedi used to be a suborder of the Jedi Order.... I thought to myself, deep in thought. They permitted me to bring it back if it's my desire...but is it...? I couldn't tell.... I have a lot to think about....