The Magic lion toy fic. Chapter one. (phan)

Phil attempted to drown out the drone of his teacher by tapping the table with his pencil, banging his feet on the floor, even plugging his ears. It had been 2 hours at the lecture so far and Phil really didn’t care anymore. Across the room, he heard the gentle thump of someone closing the lid on a laptop. Looking across, he recognized Dan. They’d been friends for years and had grown even closer when they joined the same university.

Phil felt a buzz in his pocket. He should have had his phone turned of in the lecture, but was awaiting an important phone call from his mother about the fate of his stuffed lion toy, who he’d placed in the background of every YouTube video he could ever remember. Yesterday it found it’s way into the tumble drier and was battered to bits.

Pulling his phone out of his pocket, Phil realized that the buzz was not a call from his mother, but a text from Dan. He opened the message, “Bored as hell, SOS” He chuckled, receiving a stone cold stare from the student next to him. He typed back, “We shouldn’t be doing this, you know how grouchy Mr. Dreb can get.”

Mr. Dreb was the lecturer. For years now he’d taught both Dan and Phil Geometry, although he was usually kind and a very good lecturer, they both knew how explosive he was when it came to communication in lectures, electronic or otherwise, so the conversation stopped. 

After what seemed like another few hours, the Lecture room doors swung open and Phil met Dan by his locker.

“You shouldn’t have done that Dan!” he smiled, “Remember last term in the exams…” Dan’s deep brown eyes looked up at Phil, and the corner of his mouth raised a little. “Good memories, right?” he smirked. “Well, if you consider a 2 hour detention…” Phil stopped. He’d opened his locker and was standing in shock at something inside of it. “Phil?” Dan questioned, pulling a concerned face. “No it’s OK,  just I thought Lion was at home, with my mum.”

On top of a pile of schoolbooks and magazines, a small stuffed lion stared back at Phil, torn and battered from last night’s accident. Phil shrugged it off, “Better just leave him in there.” And with that he and Dan returned to their dorm, drained from the lecture but happy in each others company.