Chapter 9

Dan clambered to his feet and helped Phil down from the window ledge. "Should we try that again?" Dan rubbed a graze on his elbow. "Maybe, but we'll have to get a bigger bin, there's a bin for the apartments down at the end of the alleyway, drag that over."

Dan returned with the bin, which was almost the size of a Smart car. "This should do. But I don't know why we didn't try that the first time." Phil questioned. Dan ignored him, "Phil, if there's a bin for the apartments in the alleyway, that means they'll need to enter to throw away their rubbish. You're not the only one with a key." 

Phil's stomach flipped. Ofcourse he wasn't the only one with a key. "We need to get up there, now."

In a series of swift and stable movements Phil was back in the position he was before he fell off. "Steady." Dan wheezed. Phil opened the window a bit more and pulled himself through, helping Dan up after he'd found his feet, Lion floated up and joined them, making it look simple. Damn I wish I could fly Phil thought.

"After the fall, I'm guessing we've got a few minutes before your mum returns." Lion told Phil. They hurried down the stairs, and after turning a few corners, arrived at the laundry room where Phil's washing machine was. They pulled the door open and then slammed it shut. Sure enough, Lion toy was sitting on the laundry pile, innocent and unaware of his potential fate. "There I am!" Lion shouted happily. Dan removed Lion from the pile and they headed to open the door. 

"Quiet." Phil gulped. "I think I hear something. "Shi.." Dan began, but Phil covered his mouth. The front door swung open and Lion Phil's mum struggled in with handfuls of Tesco bags. Phil peered through the keyhole, which was fortunately quite large, and fell back into the laundry room. "Take a look." Phil whispered. Dan obeyed. He positioned his eye infront of the keyhole and looked through. She was holding a pile of washing, and coming their way. "Phil, lion hide, Quick!" Dan whispered, gesturing towards the back of the room. Phil squeezed being the washing machine. Lion flew up to the ceiling and stayed quiet, and Dan hid behind a pile of moving boxes that Phil's mum always kept in the laundry room. The door eased open, and lion phil's mum entered, carrying a heavy basket of washing.

Dan could see Phil's foot was twisted behind the washing machine, he signed frantically at Phil, "Don't move, stay still." Phil's foot twitched and the machine shook. Lion Phil's mum purred, and began walking around the side of the washing machine, Dan screamed.