Her Unhappy State of Mind

Janice, with lacquered bobbed hair that smells of fresh pine and grapefruit, begins each morning with a half pot of dark roast coffee and three cigarettes.  On weekdays, she grumbles as she dresses while listening to the daily news.  With a sigh, she leaves home at 7:18 a.m., strides two blocks to the transit station then stands twenty-three minutes on a crammed and noisy light rail train.

At work, a co-worker boasts of the new addition to their family, Janice mumbles soon enough he’ll grow up, leave home then come back with a bag of dirty laundry and a box of bills.  At lunch, a close friend giggles about her new found love, Janice pulls apart a dry chicken sandwich and scoffs he’s the third one this month.  At 4:38 p.m., she saunters back to the transit station then stands twenty-three minutes on a stuffed and stifling light rail train.

For dinner, she poaches a bag of beef with vegetables in sweet and sour sauce, and microwaves leftover Pad Thai noodles.  In the evening, she settles into her favourite dark leather chair with a bottle of white wine and a stale bag of puffy cheese balls.  As in most evenings, she mutters and yells to the drone of the television set, then cries herself to sleep with a crust of orange crumbs around her mouth.  Janice is, generally, in an unhappy state of mind.