Joel, King of No Country

Joel, king of no country and leader of no one, gave it all up years ago.  He gave up: a closetful of delicately tailored suits, which he caressed the silken cloth and fingered the fine details daily; a cupboard of luxurious designer shoes crafted from alligator, ostrich, and snake, which he meticulously cleaned and polished after each wearing; precious gemstone watches, tie clips, and cufflinks, each labelled for days of the week and locked in a velvet-lined box; an expensive Collegiate-Blue sports car which screeched and squealed as he sped along streets; an extravagant condo on Beach Drive, furnished with the most modern amenities; dining at the finest eateries, consuming lobsters, truffles, and aperitifs; along with, the soaring career which financed his exquisite possessions and pricey lifestyle.

Now, everything he owns is worn on his back: a rumpled green shirt stained with soup and pilfered condiments; ragged jeans stiffened with dirt and reeking of sweat and sidewalk spit; blackened sports socks, with holes in both heels; tattered runners, the sole of the left shoe peeling and separating; a grubby dark-brown all-weather coat, which on warm days he rolls up as a pillow; a filthy lightweight all-season blanket, a gift in a Christmas hamper.  Over his shoulder he carries a soiled dark-blue knapsack, inside: a small bag of donated toiletries, and a large plastic bag for storing foodstuffs.  He knows the safest places to sleep outdoors, who serves the best grub, and where to take an occasional shower.

On a decent day he might be downtown, seated on a gritty sidewalk, his body lightly rocking, staring up at the sky, his eyes following the flight of birds, muttering, “I keep happiness within my grasp, I keep happiness within my grasp, I keep happiness within my grasp...”

Joel, king of no country and leader of no one, is sovereign of his own dominion and director of his own self.