8. Helpless

It wasn't even seven in the morning yet but Nick needed to get out of the house. He couldn't stand another moment under the same roof as David.

His brother had come back late last night. Nick hadn't dared to go downstairs but had heard the blazing row his mum and David had had. Nick had pulled his headphones on and tried to block out how many times his and Charlie's names were brought into the argument. Fortunately, once David had slammed his door loudly down the hall, he had not re-emerged.

Nick had obviously succeeded in exhausting himself enough to sleep well that night, dreamless. But when he had woken up with a start, he could not find the courage to tempt fate any further and risk having another nightmare.

He had spent the early hours of the morning arranging the Polaroids from yesterday on his wall with the older ones. Even though the sight of them had given him great comfort, there had only been so long he could spend staring at them with nothing else to occupy his mind.

When it had finally been an acceptable time to get up, he showered, dressed and was just making himself some tea when David shuffled into the kitchen.

David slammed cupboards and used the same knife in the butter and then the jam. Once he had kicked Nellie out of his way as he strode across the kitchen, Nick had had enough.

That was how Nick had found himself and Nellie on a walk much earlier than either of them were used to.

Nellie didn't seem to mind much though, she was perfectly happy to plod along on an adventure, no matter what time of day it was.

Only as Nick stepped through the park gate did he realise where Nellie had led them. He had not been paying much attention, but Nellie knew their usual route as well as he did.

And Nellie had no reason to associate this place with anything but joy and fun.

He hadn't been back here since that day, Nick realised as he strode across the grass toward the riverside path.

He tried to convince himself that everything was okay. He couldn't avoid this place forever. There was no reason he shouldn't be here.

Nellie led the way down the path along the river. Nick couldn't help but glance across the field toward the treeline where he knew the cabin lay beyond.

The play park was mostly empty except for a couple of toddlers and parents. Nick watched a small child giggle in delight as they soared through the air, watched their parents gossip away happily as they pushed them higher.

Nick wondered if they were aware of the horrific events that had taken place just a few metres away.

He shivered and shook himself slightly as Nellie stopped by a tree to do her business.

It wasn't until the dog was done and Nick went to pull her on their way when he realised where he was.

This was the willow tree he and Charlie had stopped at that afternoon after... everything.

Nellie let out several loud barks, and Nick almost jumped out of his skin.

"What is it, Nel?"

"Boof!" She trotted toward the riverbank and sniffed the water cautiously.

This was pretty strange behaviour, Nick thought. Nellie hated the water.

But then Nick saw it.

Something dull and metallic floated near the opposite bank -- something that glinted in the rising sun.

It was the gun.

Charlie stared down at the scrambled eggs on his plate.