12. Soon

Charlie had forgotten all about school until his alarm had rudely awoken him. He had rolled over and drifted off again for so long that by the time he ran downstairs he only had ten minutes before he needed to catch the bus.

Julio was humming tunelessly to whatever song was playing on the radio, staring absent-mindedly into the fridge, but when he saw Charlie his expression dropped for a split second, then quickly recovered itself. But Charlie had seen.

Julio picked up a plastic tub from the counter and handed it to Charlie. "Here," he said. "I made your lunch."

"Thanks," said Charlie and tucked it into his bag.

Julio stood there, furiously battling within himself for the right thing to say. Charlie waited patiently, allowing his dad to process.

"I'm so sorry, Charlie," Julio said as he exhaled. He rubbed his face in his hands. "I'm so sorry for how useless I've been. I can't imagine what it's been like for you -- to not even feel comfortable enough to share any of it with your own parents... I'm not saying I blame you. I really don't, Charlie. It's our fault. You should be able to come to us about anything, and we've failed you."

"It's alright, dad. There was nothing you could have done differently that would have made me tell you. Nick didn't tell his mum and they usually talk to each other about everything."

"I just think that if we'd known the truth, maybe your mum would have done things differently. She would have understood better what you were going through."

"Maybe."

"And I'm sorry I wasn't there for you last night. I had to work late, and there was no way I could have gotten out of it. You were already in bed when I got home."

"It's alright. I understand. Mum seems to have calmed down a bit at least..."

"She's really trying, Charlie. You know it's hard for her to accept it when she's wrong, and I think that dinner really brought home just how unpopular her opinions are." Julio smiled. "I hope you know how much everyone else around that table supports you, Charlie. Even if your mum won't see it, I can tell how much Nick means to you, and how much you mean to him. I think he might be a keeper, Charlie."

"I think so too." Charlie looked down at his shoes. "I'm going to miss my bus."

Julio shoved an apple into Charlie's hands, then followed him into the hallway where Tori was leaning against the front door, waiting grumpily.

"Tell Nick he is welcome here anytime he likes. Just no sleepovers on school nights, okay?"

"Okay. Thanks, dad."

Tori yanked the door open.

"But you're going to have to start leaving your door open! There will be no hanky panky in this house!"

"Dad!"

"Not until you're married!"

Charlie shut the door and set off quickly after Tori.

"Hmm..." said Tori. "I wonder if phone sex counts as hanky panky..."

Charlie had just braved a bite of his apple and nearly choked on it.

"We share a wall, Charles."

It took several seconds for Charlie to remember he was meant to follow his sister onto the bus. When he finally did, Tori had shoved her earphones in and was watching out the window, determinedly not looking at him.

Charlie was perfectly happy to follow suit, if for no other reason than to never look his sister in the eye again.