Running away

*Warning! Child abuse! If this makes you uncomfortable skip to the next chapter!*

Age: 5

It had been one week since her parents had died in the fire, and Michako had constantly been driven around strange people she didn't know. She didn't like it. She only wanted her parents, but they were gone and they weren't coming back. Finally a man and a woman took her to another house, and told her that she was now going to be living with her aunt. There was a woman on the porch of the house, and she kind of looked like her mother. Her aunt was a thin woman, with dark brown hair, not black like Michako's. She had multiple ear piercings and grey eyes. Her skin was pale and she wore a band t-shirt, with ripped jeans. 

The woman told her that her aunt was the only family member of her's living in the U.S. for the rest of her family members on her father's side, lived in Japan. The ushered her inside and her aunt, whose name was Reagan, what to do. They left and Reagan, huffed and sat down on the couch in the living room and turned on the tv. 

Michako didn't know what to do so she looked at her aunt and asked "Where do I sleep?"

"Not my room, that's for sure." Reagan muttered. Reagan got up and showed the little girl to an empty room with a single bed. "My friend has a kid whose growing out of her clothes and she's giving them to me, we'll pick em' up tomorrow. If you need something to keep you busy, go to the kitchen, I have a shelf of puzzles, and paper by the table." Then she left.

Michako sighed and crawled into the bed and wrapped herself up in the covers. She didn't really like her aunt to much, and this room didn't feel like her own. She shivered and started to cry, she was tired and just wanted her parents, but the only thing she had left was her mother's favorite necklace. She cried and cried until her aunt told her to shut up, then she fell asleep. 

Weeks passed and Michako feared her aunt more than fire. Reagan yelled at her a lot, she hit her when she accidentally did something wrong, and some days when Michako would accidentally mess something up, Reagan would hit her hard and lock her in her room with no food.

A year passed and Michako was now 5, she had night terrors from her aunt, and would always stress herself not to get something wrong. 

One day Michako was sitting at the table eating breakfast, when her aunt came in. Michako flinched as her aunt sat down next to her.

"Hey kid, I have a gig today, so I need you to stay home and not touch anything. If you do maybe we'll go to, uh, godammnit, what's that place called again? Uh, Albearto's?"

Michako sat up, she had heard of Albearto's from other kids, and she had always wanted to go. She nodded and her aunt reminded her "Do NOT break anything before I get home! Or I will not let you out of the house for a week! And you will get no coloring paper or puzzles!" Her aunt threatened.

Michako shrunk back down in her chair and nodded. 

A few minutes later her aunt left and Michako was by herself. She grabbed a sheet of paper and started to color in it.

*time skip*

Michako was waiting. She had packed a little bag of coloring and snacks, and since her mom had taught her to always be prepared, an extra set of clothes.

Then Michako heard the car roll into the driveway, she ran down the stairs, practically jumping up and down, when she bumped into the front table. It wobbled and a vase on it fell off and shattered on the floor. Michako gasped and tried to start picking the pieces up, but she cut her hand on the broken china.

Then her aunt walked in and saw it.

"YOU! EVEN AFTER I TOLD YOU! YOU LITTLE BRAT!" He aunt screamed.

Reagan slapped her, and Michako started to shake.

Michako knew she couldn't escape her punishment, but then  she saw the open door behind her aunt. She didn't think and made a made dash to get out. Michako ran out the door and into the street. She dodged people and pets, and just kept running. Her mind told her to just. Keep. Running. She didn't care where she was running she just needed to get away from her aunt. 

Hours passed and it was getting dark outside. Michako had no idea where she was. She was so exhausted. Then she spotted a playground. She gasped in delight. Her aunt didn't take her to playgrounds like her parents did. She ran over to the silde and immediately slid down it. She played on that playground for a while and it was fully nighttime at that moment. She then hopped off the swings and made her way to the monkey bars. She grabbed one with her sliced open hand, and the arm that had her burn scar. She tried to lift herself up, but when she did, pain shot through her hand and arm. She cried and fell with a "thump!" onto the ground. She looked at her injured hand then looked around. She was alone, utterly alone. She started to cry, cry from the pain of her lost parents and now they pain her aunt had given her. She cried  and ran into an alleyway. She curled up next to a trash can and cried and cried, but little did she know someone was about to notice her and change her life forever.