5. Setting Off

The good thing about having grown an insane and out of control field of wheat in your backyard and over your neighbor's house was that you had an out of date crop to sell fresh. A quick estimate showed that they had enough grains to keep them covered for at least two years, maybe longer. Plenty of time for him to complete his Quest.

He wasn't sure how long this was going to take, but if all he had to do was go to Vashington and back, it'd be a matter of days. He could see himself going to the Imperial City if that didn't work out. As the center of knowledge in the world, surely the answer would be there - and if it wasn't, where to find it would be.

Regardless, It should be done before the end of summer at worst, which would be nice. He did not like the thought of missing the Harvest Festival, or traveling during the cold of winter. He had spoken to his mom, and while a Quest was something a Djezzi had to undergo themselves, it did not mean they had to do it alone. They decided that with the Firebound Academy very nearby, going there to recruit one to help guide him and protect him would be a great idea. Firebound were known for loving heroics, and many of them would be interested in heading to the Imperial City on their own.

Kile liked the idea. It would be the chance to meet new people, all on his own. A new face for the world to see. A man.

He walked to his dresser, and flung it open. He sifted through the clothes. He spied that green shirt he had worn as a kid that he kept around, and gave a gentle smile. He kept flicking through. He had a pair of burlap pants, which would be good for the road. He grabbed them. A red shirt? No, too spicy. His black shirt? No, too likely to burn him in the sun. A blue shirt.

It was one he was particularly fond of. His mom had made it for him, and did her best to get a fabric that matched the color of his eyes. It was trimmed in white, and then green. He took this one too. Next, shoes. A big, thick pair of brown boots that he used for rainy days stuck out to him. They were made of good leather, strong. They'd last a while. He grabbed them.

He laid out all these clothes on his bed, and took off his belt. A hempen rope that he had learned how to tie like a pro from his father, along with the leather sheath and knife he had been given with it. He didn't intend to use it as a weapon, a knife was an incredibly useful survival tool.

As he tied his hair back up into a loop to keep it out his hair, he realized there was one other thing he wanted to take. He walked out to the shed, where his mother had put the tattered remnants of the tarp, and he used his knife to cut a piece of it out. He wrapped it around his neck and tied it in a knot, creating a tattered cape for himself.

Now, he was ready.

"Wow," his mom said, "look at you! A regular adventurer!"

He turned around to look at her, blushing a bit. "I thought it would look cool."

She grinned at him. "It does."

She stepped closer to him, and her voice got low. "Are you sure you're okay with this?"

Kile tried to hold in a scoff, "are you? You're the one who has to take care of the farm with...all by yourself."

He was going to talk about her bad leg, but he cut himself off. He knew his mom could do it.

"Don't worry about me," she assured him, "I told you, I'm in pain, not helpless. Besides, with all the crop you grew us, I can hire all the help I need until you get back."

He smiled, "if you're sure. I'll be as quick as I can."

"Don't rush," she corrected. "This is your chance to see the world, make new friends, learn new things. This is your hello to the larger world, so don't rush through it."

"And don't make a bad impression?" He teased.

His mom chuckled, "You're such a goof. You'll be fine out there."

"C'mon, a couple of people want to see you off."

His mother led him to the front of the town, where sure enough, Lesati, Redo, Kabafi and a few others were there.

The crowd gathered around him, and gave cheers of congratulations and pride. They had brought him a walking stick.

"Hey kid, what weapon are you taking?" Redo asked through the small crowd.

"I'm not." Kile said. "I don't plan on hurting anyone."

"Well people sure are gonna plan on hurting you out there!" He said it like it was a joke.

As if he knew that was the kind of answer he was going to get, he pulled out a satchel from his side, which contained a collapsible crossbow and a bracer for his arm that could hold bolts.

"Oh what?"

"It doesn't fit me. Hasn't in a long time," he chuckled. "Take it!"

He looked it over. He did not want to hurt anyone, but he would have to admit, having a weapon on the road might be useful. Besides, he wasn't the confrontational type and he had the feeling Redo wasn't going to let him go until he took it.

"Thanks," he said. He was genuinely grateful to be given a gift, even if he'd hope he'd never have to use it. He began his walk, and his heart sank ever so slightly as he heard the call of the townsfolk and his mother behind him.

"Stay safe," he could almost swore he heard her say.

He couldn't look back, or he'd start crying. He would miss them. He would miss his fields. He would miss tending the plants. But he had a job to do, and all of them would be better off once he got it done.

And so, Kile of Zumada left his town, and took the path east, to the Firebound Academy.