Part 7

My brother sat next to me on the couch, looking around the appartment. He hasn't seen this one before because we moved after he left since we couldn't afford to keep a 3 bedroom appartment in this city with only 2 people living in it.

Onnie recognized him immediately, it seems he is old but wise.

"So when's dad coming home?" He asked with Onnie in his lap. Well, somewhat in his lap. He's a bit too fat to fit fully on his legs.
"He's at work but he's coming home soon. Did you call him about being here yet?" I asked him. We're both scratching and patting Onnie now, not quite sure what we could talk about.

"Actually I didn't, I just think that he should have known." He said. He still held a small grudge even though he himself knew that what they did back then was the only right option.

We held silence for a bit until the door opened. Dad came home and started talking, thinking I was the only one here. "So I bought some frozen steaks on the way home, one for me and one for you. Maybe you can fix something for us on the side, we can't only eat these..." He kept blabbering until he turned over and froze, seeing his son.

Caleb is really different looking now and much more grown. He isn't the same kid dad shipped off three years ago, he has muscles and stubble now, along with a more grown sense of style. Dad must be feeling a little threatened, not knowing if Caleb is mad about the past.

Caleb is big but not big enough to take on dad, he has dad muscles which are way stronger than teen boy muscles. This time he could put up a fight if he wanted to though.
Caleb stood, thinking that dad is dissappointed to see him since he's so quiet, but dad walked over to him hesitantly before hugging him tight.

I decided to give them some space considering that this is between them. I catnapped Onnie and went to my room. I set him down on the bed where he settled, turned on the console and then shut out all surrounding noise with my headphones.

After some time dad came to my room telling me that it was time to cook. Dad and I always cooked together, he said it would teach me about shared responsibilities when living with someone else.

I enjoy cooking but I always let dad take the lead as the adult of the house. Also to keep his pride, since I'm pretty sure that I'm a better cook.
Caleb isn't sure what to do, so he sat at the dining table watching us. We were all talking about Caleb's stories since he has a lot of them from his criminal times.

He said he was done with all that and that he wants to be a better man. He was allowed to study and finish courses in juvy, but at a much slower pace. He would have to go to high school for a year, or maybe one and a half. He also decided that he wants to get a job so he can move out and "be an adult", which felt like a dig at me.

I've been planning on moving out, but I would have to get a job first... the club would have been a great place to work and get closer to a certain someone, but I'm not old enough.
I decide to support my brother by sending out some resumes along side him, maybe even to the same places. It's about time we got back to our old sibling routine of loving and supporting each other.

But that will come around in a few days, I have to do some baby sitting tomorrow and all, so I won't have time before overmorrow.

The rest of the night was spent talking at the table eating dinner. We talked about his new prison tattoos and my snake bites. Dad joked about having to get something to match us and we had lots of laughs.

I could get used to this.

————————

Tommorrow rolled around and I went to school. I have to leave around 12:45 to get to Val's place early enough.