Chapter 5 - History and Heartbreak

Saffron Evans was perched on a rock, watching her group of friends spit into the water below.  

She didn't participate in this because 1. she found it disgusting and 2. she was remotely afraid of heights, that's why whenever they came to the quarry she took a smaller path that led from the top of the cliff towards the edge of the water.

"Oh my god that was terrible, I win!" Richie exclaimed, tossing his arms up in celebration. "You won!? Did you see my loogie?" Eddie asked him, his voice even higher than usual due to forcefully clearing their throats earlier that day. "That went the farthest! Its by distance." Richie said, referring to his loogie that was supposedly the winner. "It's mass, it's always been mass."

Impatient, Saffie began to tap her leg, waiting for Richie and Eddie to finish their usual argument. "What-what is mass?"

"Who cares how far it goes? It matters how cool it looks, like it green or its white and juicy and fat." Eddie said, and the rest of the group either shook their heads or grimaced at his odd choice of words. "Alright, who's first?" Bill asked his friends, pointing at the cliff as the boys all peered over it.

At this, Saffron began to put her shoes on and get ready to walk down her little pathway. "I'll go!" A girls voice shouted out from behind them.

Saffron turned her head to be met with the sight of Beverly undressing in front of them, and she couldn't help but grin as she watched this perfect display of confidence from this poor girl who's life had been basically ruined by rumours. "Sissies." And with that, Beverly ran towards the edge, jumping off with no hesitation.

Deciding to join her, Saffie shouted to the boys, "I'm off, see ya down there!" and with a chorus of byes, she began her trail down the hill.

The rest of the day was spent swimming around together and messing about before Richie suggested a game of chicken, which everyone agreed to, of course. "I dibs Stan!" Saffron called out, groans coming from Richie at this claim,

"Thats not fair! You always get him!" He shoved her head underwater, her coming back up quickly, a grin on her face. "Because he's the tallest."

She swam over to her friend, whispering something about beating Richie again to which he smirked at her, before going underwater so she could climb onto his shoulders.

They had been in this exact position before so many times, this exact location, with the exact same people ( with the exception of Bev and Ben ), yet all the things Stan had been feeling for Saffron the past few months suddenly flew straight to his head, especially when he realised how dangerously close his hands were to her underwear.

The pair went against Richie and Ben in chicken. Bill played referee, doing a quick countdown before immediately moving out of the way in order not to get hit. Richie went straight for Saffron's forearm, attempting to twist it in a way that would make her fall off.

He did this for the first 15 seconds or so, before she whacked him on the top of the head making him fall backwards, and therefore losing. Saffron and Stan cheered loudly at Richie in the water, as he swam straight over to Bill to protest.

"Cheater! Cheater! Bill, she cheated! Disqualify the fuckers!" Richie shouted, almost in tears due to him losing to them once again. "You're just jealous, Richie." Stan grinned at him as he helped Saffron off his shoulders, high-fiving her when she was next to him again.

They continued playing around for the next 45 minutes or so, and the boys were now seated on a rock as Beverly sunbathed and Saffron was wandering around in circles near the edge of the cliff to Young MC's Bust A Move playing on Bill's cassette in the background.