thirty-five.

Watching their eyes bug out as I uttered those two words might have been the best past of my night.

Then came the offer of free drinks which smoothed it over it bit.

The Dark Room is known for a reason and gals like Auden and her friends have been taught their entire lives to steer clear.

It's the parallel of good and bad.

Auden is the good.

I'm the bad.

Good deserves good.

And bad... bad tends to be left out in the cold.

Speaking of cold, I gave Officer Casey a smile as I walked past his cruiser.

No one could possibly replace Anaca, but I think I've been left out in the cold for long enough.

Dua looks all sorts of scary to the others.

Her hair is flicked out like an early 2000's popstar and she's wearing black lipstick. Tonight, her corset is black with silver chains across the bodice.

"This is Dua," I say. "We go back."

Chloe and Charity are struggling to pay attention as they notice the dancers seducing men under the cover of very dim lighting.

The three of them look like Elle Woods in their colorful get-ups. They might be producing the most light in the entire room.

"This is Chloe, Charity and Auden."

Dua and I share a look, it's so quick none of them notice.

"What are you ladies drinking?" Dua smiles, grabbing a bottle of gin that she's about to mix with tonic for one of the waitresses.

"I thinking you don't have spritzers here," Chloe anxiously giggles.

"Not exactly," Dua replies. "But I'll make you something good."

Dua starts working on the drinks when Auden slides over close.

"Are you sure it's okay to stay here?"

"You guys wanted to get drinks," I say. "I got you free ones."

"Yeah," she awkwardly grins.

"We can leave if you want."

"No," she instantly utters. "I wanted to talk to you. I suppose here is as good as any place."

"About what?"

Chloe and Charity keep whipping their heads around as warning bells are surely going off. They drag from the dancers to the waitresses to the clientele.

"Anaca," Auden's eyes grow wide as if it's obvious. "Something is off with him," she sighs. "I just wandered if he's said anything to you... since you guys have known each other for so long."

I'm going to need Dua to hurry up with the alcohol for this conversation.

"I'm not sure what you mean."

Auden slumps onto one of the bar stools. "This afternoon for example. I never have to try that hard to get him to—you know," she shrugs. "But ever since he started the remodel it's like pulling teeth to get him to show me any sort of affection."

The other two slide in beside her, holding their purses a little closer than necessary.

Not a beat too late, Dua sets three glasses of a pink liquid in front of them.

"What is it?" Charity asks.

"My version of a love potion."

"What about Woody?" Auden notes my missing drink.