three. | before/fourteen.

before
fourteen

I'm almost offended that it's taken me this long to think of this. How did scaling the gutter seem so hard before? Maybe I just got lucky that my body weight didn't rip the entire thing off the side of the house.

Either way, I made it up here. Getting down would be another adventure.

Willow is having another party. It's even more rowdy than the last one. I think I caught her snorting a few lines of cocaine before I slipped outside. There's a new guy that showed up tonight. He doesn't look all that old, but the way he carried himself screamed trouble. Enough to scare even me. The way he wrapped himself around my sister wasn't what I would call sexy, but the smirk on her lips looked as if she enjoyed it. I wonder where they met. If it was at the Dark Room. More than likely, I decide.

I could have got on my bike, but I don't want to get caught riding around without a light. Which reminded me I should pick one up tomorrow, so it could be an option in the future.

Instead, I decided to climb up the side of our house and sit on the roof just below the attic level. I peered over the edge and thought about how much it would hurt if my only choice is to jump off into the bundle of weeds in the backyard. In which I quickly decided that was the absolute last option. I would break into the attic first.

Until then, I tuck my knees into my chest as I glance up at the sky. Still covered in clouds like cotton balls that have been pulled apart and stuck on with glue.

I should probably get a hobby.

Distract myself from the scratch to go steal another cigarette.

Not that I would right now, I'm still beaming that I managed to get myself up here.

"What the fuck?"

I startle on the quiet but booming voice coming from the body standing under the side door of Mr. DeRosa's house.

I can only see his converse as the rest of him hid in the shadows just a moment longer.

"Woody? Is that you?"

Anaca.

His hair is wet this time. I've seen him around, here and there since that first night, but we haven't spoken.

"What the hell are you doing up there?"

I tilt my head, touching my cheek to my knees. "What's it look like?"

I hear a few groans, almost as if he's arguing with himself. To the point, I almost call out again, but the sound of him climbing stops me. Soon a tuff of hair pops over the side of the roof, and he's pulling himself up with annoying ease. I was huffing and puffing to yank myself up here. His natural strength is effortless as his muscles tug and pull his skin taut. He managed to swing his leg over almost like dead weight.

"Sure... Come on up," I deadpan.

"You do this a lot?" he utters while walking toward me, ignoring me all together. He settles a safe distance away from me, but close enough we can talk softly.

"Do what?"

His eyes widen slightly as he glances around.

"Sit on the roof?" I titter. "No."

"It's dangerous for you to climb up here, you know."

"You did it."

"I'm an adult," he replies as if that's supposed to mean something.

"Then why are you bugging me?"

He scuffs. "I suppose you have a point."

Anaca rests his veiny forearms on his knees. I try not to look at him. Not in an obvious way at least. He's beautiful but the danger that is an attraction to Anaca is too much yet. He's a man, and I am still very much a teenager. And I'm okay with that.