A Different Love

Hopper shifted the gear to park his Blazer after pulling into the Byers' driveway. All the kids were on a week long school trip to Minneapolis and Joyce invited him over so they could keep each other company in the frigid second week of December. A snowstorm was due that evening and Hop was relieved that he wouldn't have to freeze in his cabin all alone for the week. The aging wooden planks that made up his home didn't provide much warmth in the middle of the woods in Hawkins.
       As he approached the front step, he raised an icy fist to the door preparing to knock and announce his arrival, but before his hand could meet the wood, the door swung open and there stood Joyce, grinning widely and stepping aside to welcome him in. "Hey Hop," she said. "I'm glad you showed up. I just made some beef stew for us. Sit at the table, I'll get us each a bowl." Hop thanked her and hung up his work coat and kicked his boots off and set them neatly beside her shoe rack in the hallway. He walked into the kitchen, taking in the savory aroma of hearty vegetables and beef as his stomach growled in anticipation. He had forgotten to eat earlier since he had a busy day at work, and Joyce's cooking was always a better alternative to anything he knew how to whip himself up at home.
       "That smells fantastic, Joyce. Thank you," he said as she set their steaming bowls down at the table and poured them each a cold glass of milk to wash it down with. He smiled gingerly at her when she blushed from the compliment. She had always been reluctant to accept praise or recognition, something Hop never understood as she was always going above and beyond with everything that she did.
       "Oh it's nothing," she replied as Hop knew she would. "I figured you could use a hot meal for a change. I don't remember the last time I've seen you eat anything other than a tuna sandwich or a bag of chips." She gave him a gentle shove on his shoulder to reprimand his poor diet, and he let out a singular nose laugh in agreement. Joyce pulled her chair out and sat down beside Hop, blowing on her stew before taking the first bite. "So, how was work today?"
       Hop swallowed a gulp of potatoes and carrots before replying. "Oh you know, same old crap. Cal was supposed to do a wellness check on Mrs. Harvey this morning but he conveniently forgot and then left to patrol downtown, so I got to do the honors. I was stuck for what had to be, I don't know, an hour and a half, listening to her go on about how the squirrels in her attic keep her up at night and something about her grandkids not returning her calls." He closed his eyes and shook his head in frustration. "Im telling you, I think I should put in my notice and come join you at Melvald's. At least I could get some damn peace and quiet over there." He snorted and met Joyce's wrinkled-nose smile at the proposition.
       "I don't think it would be much better," she chuckled. "You wouldn't believe how many older women like to chat with me about what medications they're on. I don't think there's any way to escape them in this town." He nodded and shrugged. She was right. Hawkins was always surprising them with what seemed to be an annual supernatural attack from the Upside Down, but when the chaos died down it was replaced with mind-numbing mediocrity. He wondered to himself why he ever came back from New York, and then instantly remembered as he looked up from the table to see Joyce's soft eyes and sweet smile watching him as he enjoyed the delicious meal she had prepared for the two of them to share. Not many things made him remember he had a beating heart other than the presence of El and Joyce in his life.
The two friends finished off their hearty dinner, making small talk about work and the kids, then Hop got up to take their dishes and headed to the sink to wash them. Joyce protested, of course, but Hop insisted. It was the least he could do after she had prepared the entire meal. She allowed him to clean up and wiped down the table before making her way to the cabinet above the fridge that harbored her limited collection of liquor bottles. She looked to Hop, pondering what type of drink he would appreciate, then settled on a dry gin, also extracting a few other ingredients from various cabinets including peanut butter, cinnamon, and caramel syrup. She dug around, searching for a shaker, until the commotion finally caught Hop's attention as he turned off the water and began to dry the bowls.
"Whatcha lookin for?" he asked, eyebrows furrowed with curiosity. She always had a way of scrambling around like a chicken with its head chopped off no matter what she was trying to accomplish. He smirked— her quirky, anxious tendencies were actually really charming, in their own strange way.
Joyce ignored his question as she crouched on the floor, extending her short arm to the back of a cabinet cluttered with pots and pans, pulling out an old cocktail shaker that hadn't seen the light of day in at least five years. She walked to the sink to clean it out and met Hop's confused expression, it just now registering what he had asked. "Oh, uh, shaker," she said, holding up the tinny little object to explain. "I thought we could have a couple drinks tonight. You know, keep us warm." She flashed a timid smile. She hoped he would buy that excuse, the truth being that she was just grateful to have his company and was anticipating a cozy night in with him since that morning.
"Well you know me, I'm not one to turn down drinks with a pretty lady," he remarked playfully. Their friendship was strong enough to withstand some lighthearted flirting, and it didn't make either of them uncomfortable. Joyce resumed her bartending, pouring the peanut butter salted caramel martinis into mugs— she didn't own martini glasses— and met Hop on the sofa. Handing him a warm mug, he took a moderate swig, his eyes widening as the salty liquid coated his tongue. "Woah Joy, this is actually pretty impressive. Where did you learn to make this?"
Joyce shrugged modestly. "Karen, actually. She made these last Christmas and I fell in love, so it's my go-to drink to warm up on cold nights now, I suppose. Speaking of, I think the storm is starting." Hop set his mug down on the coffee table and walked to the front window, drawing the curtain to reveal a dazzling display of swirling snowflakes breezing in the frosty air and landing on the grass, coating the front lawn in a pillowy blanket of white. It almost looked like they were in the center of a freshly shaken snow globe.
"Yep, you're right. Good thing we have those drinks to warm us up." Hop walked back to the couch, sitting at the opposite end as Joyce and cradling his mug once again, pulling the frothy liquid to his lips and admiring the way Joyce held hers with both hands, making her look even smaller than she was. Her sweet, dainty mannerisms always made his heart flutter, like watching a puppy learning to walk.
Joyce flicked on the television and they settled on watching the animated Rudolph movie as they chatted. Not long into the film, Hop noticed Joyce quivering, despite being wrapped in a heavy, knitted quilt and her knees pressed to her chest. "Joyce, you're shivering," he said, not bothering to hide the concern in his voice. He scooted over to her end of the couch and wrapped his arm around her shoulder, pulling her into his broad chest for warmth.
"I'm fine, Hop," she laughed, but she didn't protest. It was nice to have someone to snuggle up with, even if it was just a friend. Her petite figure didn't allow her to keep much of her body heat on cold nights like these, so sharing his was a welcome gesture. She nuzzled her head under his and he rested his chin in her soft brown locks. She was thankful to have such a close friendship with Hop, one where physical displays of affection weren't met with tension or hesitation. One of the many perks of knowing someone for nearly three decades.
       Hop and Joyce stayed in that position as they continued watching the kids movie. They giggled as if they were kids again themselves, both enjoying the innocent little reindeer and each other's company. They each had another mug of the warm alcohol and agreed that Hop would be okay sleeping on the couch that night, despite him being nearly a foot longer than it. Despite that, however, they ended up falling asleep before the movie was over, still sitting up and leaned against one another, sharing the large quilt with Joyce's arm around Hop's waist and his still around her shoulder.