Ethan Jackson's p.o.v

"Grade eight is going to suck," I say, putting my phone on speaker as I start to unpack. I smile as I think to myself that Austin won't unpack at all–that he just threw his bag in his closet, like he does every year.

"I don't know," he says. A sound comes from the phone, making me assume he just jumped onto his bed. "I'm kind of excited."

"Why?"

"I don't know?" he says, laughing slightly, as if he's so overwhelmed by the good things in his life. "Maybe 'cause we'll be together?"

For some reason, I feel my pulse quicken, and my face heats up. Do I have a fever? Against myself, I smile. "Really? That's why you're excited?"

"Of course," he answers. "You're my best friend," he adds on, quickly. My pulse slows.

"You're mine too," I say softly, gazing across from my bed at the picture board on the wall. A bunch of Rose and I as kids. As teenagers, mostly Grace, Austin and I. Or, mostly Austin and I. A lot of Austin.

"I know."

I laugh, throwing two shirts in my hamper.

"You can't tell me there's not one thing you're excited for?"

Quickly, images of Austin, Grace and I laughing in the courtyard at lunch–like we did last year flow through my mind.

"Nope," I say, "It's school, you know."

"I know," he says, quietly.

The silence stretches on for a while, and a smile grows on my face.

"You're sitting in the dark and trying to make yourself glow, aren't you?"

"...she can't have been the only one to have got the glowing gene!" he exclaims.

I burst out laughing. "You're killing me."

"I'm literally a healer," he says, "I couldn't be killing you."

"I bet you could... I'd let you," I say.

"No you wouldn't," he says.

"I wouldn't be able to kill you."

"Who says it's a battle to the death?" he exclaims.

"Every action movie ever," I say, rolling my eyes.

"Who said we were in an action movie?"

"Me," I state, "What do you think we'd be in?"

"A romcom, duh," he says. Austin goes silent. You could've heard a pin drop in my room. Then, he chuckles nervously, "I'd be the main character," he says, playing it off, "You can be my sassy and sarcastic friend."

"Yeah, totally," I say, looking down at my now unpacked bag.

"Uh, Eth, I gotta go. Think my Papà's calling me," he says, "See you tomorrow."

"Yeah, see you dude."

I hear my phone beep as he hangs up.

I know that was an excuse. He needed to leave the conversation.

I let my head drop onto my pillow. We've never had a stall in conversation like that. I mean, we're friends, aren't we?

Somehow, I think it's my fault. I should've filled in that gap. Not let it get awkward. I just–

I just couldn't help myself. For a moment there, I actually thought he meant–

Oh gods.

I think I'm falling for Austin.

Oh, Austin Lee di Angelo. What have you done?