Vanessa McLean

"Hey–Mom?" I ask, coming downstairs. Both Mom and Shel look up. "What's on my bed?"

Mom chuckles, nervously, "Your grandmother sent them earlier."

My eyes widened, "My grandmother did?"

"Yeah, she did. I think it was a special gift–you know, because of high school, dear."

"Oh, okay," I say, smiling at the two. Quickly, I make my way up the stairs, two at a time.

I've never had something from a Goddess before.

I burst into my room, and head straight for the package. I throw open the box, sending the top off.

"It's a dress?" I whisper, taking it out. It was pretty, in the school girl sort of way. A plaid dress, a black blouse, and black knee socks.

Never really been my style, but I trust her. She is the Goddess of beauty.

Underneath where the clothes were, I found a small box. I open it slowly, praying to the Gods and Goddesses above that Hermes didn't put a prank in while Aphrodite was making them.

My mouth drops open slightly as my eyes settle on the necklace. It had a simple silver chain, a dove carrying a heart on the end.

"Thank you," I whisper, looking up.

I put the necklace on before neatly packaging the outfit up again. I'll open it again tomorrow. Then, as I was picking up the lid, I found a card.

Vanessa McLean,

Congratulations, darling! High School!

Legacies hardly ever get anything from the Gods and Goddesses, so consider this my gift to you.

I rarely get legacies on my Greek side, so you must understand my fondness for you and your sister. I wanted you to have a piece of confidence and beauty on your first day back.

I have a secret. Goddesses, such as I, often have trouble expressing our feelings towards mortals, but among your kind, your family is one of my favourites.

Keep my dove safe,

Aphrodite.

I smile. 'Your family is one of my favourites.' I'm one of Aphrodite's favourites. Wait until Zoë hears about this.

"Hello, Hello," I say, answering a call from my phone.

"I made blue cookies. Dad, Charlie, and I. They are in the oven. If you head out now they'll be fresh and out when you get here."

"On my way," I say instantly, hopping out of bed. Zoë nods softly and hangs up.

I open my door to find Grace walking down the stairs wearing a coat–it's literally summer, why's she wearing a coat?

"Jackson's?" I ask. She nods.

"Jackson's," she confirms, "Ethan texted me. Told me his sisters were–"

"Making cookies. Zoë called me."

"Come on, Ness."

"Bye Mom, bye Mom," I call, running out the door.

"Bye!" Grace says, following me out.