Chapter 6

Jimin

He hadn't gone to see her like he wanted to. Plans had changed, and his time was spent directing different groups to go to her kingdom in aid of her search. Yoongi had barely spared him any glances, and for that he was thankful. His father, on the other hand, was watching him with a close eye.

He had heard his father laughing jovially with some of the noblemen. "Like father like son," he had said. "He will make a great king."

Jimin had felt both sick and elated. All his life he just wanted his father's approval. How he was gaining the approval made his stomach turn. Like father like son...

You are nothing like your father...

Warring words banged around inside his head, and he decided as he walked through the halls that it was time to see her. Days had passed by since they were all called upon in the middle of the night, and he imagined she was shaking with anxiety by now.

When he arrived at her door, Jungkook and Hoseok bowed to him and stepped aside to let him in. He could sense their stares as he passed them, but he didn't turn to look at either of them before the door clicked closed and he became shrouded in the darkness.

She had the drapes closed and the fire out. She was staring blankly at the empty shelves, and it looked as if she had tried to play chess with herself at some point.

She hadn't even turned to see who had opened her door.

"You will address me when I enter," he said, voice just a little too loud in the dark.

She startled slightly and stood quickly. She curtsied and mumbled brief apologies before returning to her seat.

He walked across the room and opened the drapes to allow the light in, and he noticed out of the corner of his eye her flinch.

"You must be bored," he said as way of conversation. It didn't come from a place of concern. It was merely an observation.

She just hummed in response and eyed him as he pulled a chair across from her to sit.

"I came to ask you some questions." He leaned forward and placed his elbows on his knees. She leaned back slightly at his proximity. His eyes flicked to the door as if to tell her they were listening right outside. "Who amongst Seokjin's guards gave you letters?"

She blinked slowly and blew out a breath. "I do not know his name."

"Was Seokjin ever in any proximity of these letter exchanges?"

"No. He spent most of his time with my father and then my uncle."

"Who were you writing?"

She smiled at that. "If I truly wanted to betray him, I would have said his name." She leaned forward, her face inches from his own. "Prince Jimin, I could easily betray you if I wanted to," she whispered. "I am not the only one in danger here."

He scowled. "Who would believe you if you ran to tell the king it was me?" His whispers came out like a hiss.

"Yoongi."

He leaned back at that. Yoongi's name coming from her mouth made him angry. She had been plotting against him, and it almost seemed like being here as a prisoner is what she wanted. He almost began convincing himself the letter from her cousin was a trap that she had planned out.