CHAPTER SIX: Spring Break

After losing my house in a fire, my neighbors Mason, Eli, and Landon have offered me their homes and bodies.

Tonight, I stand at Mason's door after Eli has announced that he is requiring me to come on the Spring Break field trip.

"Landon and I are also coming. You'll be happy to know that, since you are desperately in ineed of chaperones." Mason said to Eli.

"I'm not desperate for anything." Eli said.

I can feel the strong tension between Eli and Mason. I should cool  down this tension.

"We're all adults. Let's act like it." I said to the two guys. Cooling down the tension between the two guys.

Eli sighs as I place a hand on his shoulder. "You're right. See you tomorrow." Eli said.

Before I can respond, Eli turns and stomps off into the night. 

Back into the kitchen, Shaun helps Alice with the dishes.

"I want to scrub!" I hear Shaun said to Alice.

"That's fine, kiddo. But maybe scrub over the sink? You're bubbles everywhere." Alice said to Shaun.

"I'm cleaning the floor at the same time. That's just multitasking." Shaun said to Alice proudly.

After they finish the dishes, and I tell Alice I will be on the trip, Alice and Shaun race to bed.

Mason takes my hand, tugging me into the living room.

"Spring Break just got more interesting." Mason said with a smile.

"When Eli wants something, he gets it. It was cool to see you stand up to him tonight." I said to Mason.

"I wasn't always as withdrawn, but something happened a few years back that... shook my confidence." Mason said.

I wonder if this has to do with Mason's wife? He never talks about her. I'll encourage him to open up.

"You can talk to me." I said to Mason, encouraging Mason to open up to me.

"It's a sad story, Ann..." Mason said in a sad tone.

"If it's a part of your life, I want to hear it." I said to Mason.

"It was a long night. I had been working at the ER for 30 hours straight. My wife was picking up groceries when... The car accident was brutal. My colleagues said there was nothing I could have done to save her, but..."  Mason paused as his voice cracks. "We lost her that night." Mason said in a sad tone.

"Oh, Mason... let me hug you." I pull Mason into a gentle embrace, and he returns my hug with fervor, wrapping his arms tightly around me. 

After for a few moment, Mason breaks the hug and looks at me. "I needed that. After she died, I lost my confidence. I took a job with lower stakes." Mason said.

"A school nurse?" I asked.

"Eli has used it as an opportunity to bully me ever since." Mason said.

I recall something from the book that Landon gave to me; holding hands relieves stress.

I grasp his hand, Mason smiles at me, briefly soothed by my touch. 

"You know, something about being with you, Ann, has made that confidence come back." Mason said as Mason edges closer to me, my stomach flips with nerves.

This is a pivotal moment in my relationship with Mason. I could go down a romantic path with him, giving in to his kisses... Or, I could continue to help build his confidence as a friend.