CHAPTER THIRTEEN: Big Night

"What the hell was that?"  Mason asked.

"We should investigate." Landon said.

"But we should stick together." Eli said.

"Let's start with the kitchen." I said to the guys.

******

When I poke my head around the corner of the kitchen, it's quiet.

But I hear another crash in Alice's room and run to investigate. A young man rifles through her drawers in a fury.

"Perry?" I said.

"Is this Alice's piece of shit ex?" Eli asked.

"What are you doing here, kid?" Landon asked to Perry.

"Where the fuck is Alice?" Perry asked in an angry tone.

I should tell to Perry that Alice is away. "Perry, Alice isn't here." I said to Perry.

"Where is she?" Perry asked still in an angry tone.

"Somewhere you can't hurt her." Mason said to Perry.

"Alice and I would still be together if it weren't for you, Ann." Perry said to me.

"That's not true. Perry." I said to him. 

His hands shake, his tough guy persona is breaking.  "Yes-- yes it is!" 

"Perry, you need to go back home." Mason said to Perry.

I gesture to the glass strewn along Alice's floor. "We're going to file another restraining order. Please, go back to New York. You're young. You can come back from this." I said to Perry.

"You don't know what you're talking about. You're just some dumb bitch who can't keep her nose out of other people's business." Perry said in a more angry tone.

He is getting heated. I need to remain clam. 

"Perry, calm down. No one is here to hurt you." I said to Perry in  a soft, soothing voice. 

"One of us should call the authorities." I hear Eli said.

"Or his parents." Landon said.

I saw how Perry's face drops. "Call someone? You-- you wouldn't." 

This kid isn't going to de-escalate on his own. He needs some help. If I don't do something, Perry will just get more desperate and aggressive. I could de-escalate. The book I got from Landon had a chapter on aggressive teens.

After we call the police, they arrive at my home quickly. I feel triumphant as I watch the cops take Perry away.

Like I can actually protect Alice...

The cops shut Perry into their car as an officer pulls me aside.

"Ma'am, what would you like to charge this young man with?" The police officer asked to me.

"Charge him with breaking and entering. I mean, there's plenty of evidence." I said to the police officer as I motion to the shattered window.

"I think that's a good call." The police officer said.

As the cops drive Perry away, he shoots me a look that sends a shiver down my spine.

"Alice is lucky to have to have such a brave person protecting her." Eli said.

*****

Later in the night, once the dust settles, I still feel tension in the air.