CHAPTER FOUR: First Day

"Think you can handle that?" Eli asked to me.

I glance at my house, burnt and weathered, the back at Eli's unchanging face.

"Eli... You're joking, right?" I asked to him in shock.

Eli's flat lips reveal the obvious. "I am not."

"There's just one issue—my stuff, it's uh... burnt." I said to him.

"I thought of that." He said as he takes out a duffle bag stuffed with expensive clothing.

"I'm sure you can find something that suits you." Eli said to me.

"Eli, one minute you're cold as ice, and the next, you almost seem human." I said to him. Calling him hot and at the same time cold.

"Imagine that, Ms. Stevens, a man containing multitudes." Eli said to me.

****

In the privacy of my gazebo, the only part of my house that hasn't burnt, I dress for my first day of work.

I wore the hottest outfit that Eli picked for me. Black sleeves and gray short skirt.

****

Walking into my first day of work feels like starting a new day of school. Eli steps out of his office as I try to sneak by.

"Ms. Stevens, welcome to your first day at Camden Hills High. The first sets the tone for the rest of the year. What tone will you be setting?" Eli asked to me.

His gaze travels down my body, examining my clothes.

"I see you liked my gift." Eli added with a smirk in his face.

"Oh... I promise it will be a good tone. Can't you tell?" I said to him.

"I'll let you know by day's end. This isn't a joke. You're responsible for the emotional well-being of my students." Eli said to me in a stern tone.

Eli was so sweet while I was at his house. But now that we're here, he's treating me like he's never met me.

"Hey, what happened to the nice guy raising a cute kid? The one I met last night?" I asked to Eli.

"When I'm at work, I work. I hope to see you do the same." Eli said to me in a stern tone.

****

As I sit in my new office, I hear a familiar voice at my door as Rowan pokes his head in.

Rowan? Landon's son and Alice's crush. He seems like such a nice boy. I wonder what could be troubling him.

"Is now a good time?" Rowan asked to me.

"A great time. Take a seat." I said to him with a smile as I gesture him to the seat in front of my table.

Rowan tepidly sits across from me. He avoids eye contact as he speaks.

"I'm having some issues. There are a bunch of people in my gym class who won't let me use the locker room. They're accusing me of looking at them naked." Rowan said.

"Oh, Rowan... I'm so sorry to hear that." I sadly said as I hear his troubles.

"Thanks. I haven't told anyone, not even my dad, but it's bothering me." Rowan said.

Poor Rowan. This is my chance to help him and prove myself for my first day of work. And Landon will appreciate that I helped his son.

"Rowan, do you know why people your age act this way?" I asked to him.

"The stupid thing most parents say is that they're jealous, but that's bullshit." Rowan responded.

"It's an adolescent fear response. Everyone's afraid in high school. They want you to feel like you don't have an upper hand. If you show them that you're not afraid, they'll leave you alone." I said to Rowan.