Chapter 3

Kaneki was waiting for (Y/N) at school. He had gotten there early today. Kamii University was rather still in the morning as the students sluggishly made their way in. His nerves had built up from struggling with his new urges to waiting for (Y/N) to arrive. All the scents of other people taunted him.

About ten minutes had passed and he finally saw your shimmering (h/c) hair. Even though you seemed to be down and dressed to fit that, he was still very drawn to you. "(Y/N)!" He called out and waved. You could tell he was very nervous about something. This didn't seem like how he would usually act. You walked over to him and smiled faintly. Today you had bad news. You could no longer attend Kamii University. Your parents had decided to finally enroll you into the CCG academy. They had decided that since you hadn't decided on a major for university, you should instead become an investigator.

"Hey, Kaneki." You replied. "How are you doing?" He smiled. "I'm alright. Had a tough accident." He motioned to his eye patch.

"Hide told me. We went to see you, but you were already discharged." You explained. His expression seemed a little grim, but he smiled nonetheless.

"How about we go to class, (Y/N)?"

After school Kaneki walked with you to the train station. You told him about your parents, but held off the news about leaving school.

"(Y/N), you seemed sad all day. What happened?" Kaneki asked finally. You let go of the breath you had been holding in. The man you liked wouldn't get to be an active part of your everyday life. He may be put in danger if he was ever seen with you by ghouls. The future made you have to sacrifice so much. You couldn't sacrifice him. Never.

"I'm not going to Kamii anymore." The words came out clearly. You ran a hand through your hair, distressed. Kaneki seemed to crumble. "Oh," was all he could say. His clenched his fists silently. "The trains here." He said with a smile which you couldn't return.

The train ride was silent. Sometimes you would catch each other staring, but still stayed apart and quiet. When it came time to part ways you didn't know what to say.

"Can I have your number? Maybe we could meet when you aren't busy." Kaneki suggested. His eyes looked hopeful, but he was still saddened by the news. He wouldn't get to see you much or do what he wanted with you. After some hesitation you exchanged numbers then parted. It was just sunset. You knew Kaneki would be safe on his way home. He wouldn't ever be hurt. But maybe today you did just that.

Kaneki got to his apartment and sat on his bed. He was still upset. Even more so by the threat of (Y/N) hunting him someday. He could never fight her, but he believed in her. She may show him mercy when that time comes...should it ever.

For awhile Kaneki struggled with being alone and his need for food. Being taunted all day didn't help. At Anteiku they had helped him plenty to control it. He inherited a hard to please stomach. Sometimes he just wanted to rip into (Y/N)'s flesh and...He shook his head furiously. No.

"No! I can't do that to her! I love her!" He shouted to himself. His mind was slipping. Only the other night he dreamt of doing things with you. Now he just wanted to make you his own or keep you from everyone else.

Because I love her.