Chapter 4

It had been several days since you last saw Kaneki. Every once in awhile you would text each other, but it was still rare. There was something about him that seemed different. You weren't entirely sure what though.

Today you stopped at a cafe called Anteiku. It wasn't on the way to the CCG head quarters, but you needed a break. The training had been vigorous so far. Upon walking in you were greeted by Kaneki and a purple haired girl. Both you and Kaneki seemed shocked.

"Hi," you managed to say softly. You took a seat by the window. Kaneki came over and sat across from you. "Hey, [Y/N]?" He seemed timid again. "Yes, Kaneki?"

"Would you like to go out on a date?" He asked quickly. He hid his face behind a menu, his eyes just peeking over. You took a moment to try and process what he said. "S-sure!" You replied happily. Your heart was pounding with excitement. "How about we go to a bookstore?" You nodded in response. "Now, may I take your order?" Kaneki stood up and smiled at you.

A few days later you were running late for your date with Kaneki. Plenty of time had been put into making sure you didn't look stupid. You wore a simple [F/C] dress and red flats. Running in a dress had never been your favorite thing to do. High school was especially hard. You ran through the crowds to the location where you were supposed to meet Kaneki. It had started raining. "Ugh, I forgot my umbrella." You sighed and looked for a convenience store. While you were looking around you saw Kaneki. He was calling out to someone. He ran across the street and nearly got hit by cars in doing so. You gripped at your chest and tried to follow him. He grabbed a little girls hand. They ran off. You followed them. Right now you were very thankful for your training.

They stopped at an alleyway. You recognized Mado and Amon right away. They were your parents coworkers, so you knew them. Your heart beat faster. The girl Kaneki was trying to quiet was struggling while Kaneki seemed to think about what to do. What does he have to do with this ghoul? The female ghoul stared in horror at the kagune Mado unleashed. Suddenly it looked as if she had given up. Her kagune rested on the ground before she was swiftly beheaded.

The little girl's cries got louder. They rang in your ears. Was that her mother? Kaneki was covering her eyes while looking on the verge of a breakdown. Why are they so upset? It was just another ghoul. They need to be exterminated. It sickened you how Kaneki had reacted. Instead you left before being noticed.

Kaneki had seen your fleeting figure. That was the last thing he needed to worry about. Hinami's mother was just killed and he didn't do anything to save her. He shook his head and took Hinami back to Anteiku. There they would be safe. He should have done something. Now he assumed you may know his secret. He pushed that thought back. Hinami first. Then you and him.

Kaneki decided to call you later that night. He wasn't sure how to approach what happened today. He waited for you to pick up anxiously.

"Hello, this is [F/N] [L/N]."

"Hey, its Kaneki. I'm sorry about today." Kaneki started. He still didn't know what to say. He knew you were in training, which made it worse. "I had to help my friend. She ran into some trouble and she found me." On the other side of the line you sighed.

"Kaneki, why were you interfering with ghouls and their extermination?" You bluntly asked. "I wasn't. That little girl-Hinami- didn't need to see something like that!" He felt his chest begin to hurt. If you knew he was one of them, would you hate him too? He loved you too much. "It's my job to stop ghouls, Kaneki. I can't associate with them at all."

"I'm sorry. I won't do it again, [Y/N]." He apologized softly. "Can we do the date over?" He asked after a moment of silence. "We can get ice cream this time, I promise."

"Sure," you replied with a soft smile.

"Goodnight, Ken."

"Goodnight, [Y/N]." That was the first time you called him by his first name. It sounded beautiful. He loved the sound of your voice.