Chapter 5

You were walking to the train station to go out on your date with Kaneki Ken. You checked your text messages a few times while waiting for the train. The meeting location was at a park. He promised to get ice cream this time.

Having had time to think over his involvement with the ghoul, you still felt uneasy about it. He seemed so upset. Most humans would just run away or ignore a confrontation like that. Perhaps he was a ghoul or he was hiding them. For now you wouldn't pry further than you have. The nagging suspicion would have to take the back seat for now.

The train arrived on time and you sat by a window. It wasn't crowded like it usually was. The ride was short to get to that side of Tokyo. Your heels clicked with every step, which bothered you some. For the job as a ghoul investigator you had to learn how to walk, run, and sprint in heels. Fashion over practicality was the protocol. Once you got outside of the train station you saw Kaneki.

"[Y/N]!" He shouted and waved. Kaneki looked happy to see you today. He did think you wouldn't actually show up after the last incident.

"Hey, Kaneki." You said happily. The two of you walked to an ice cream shop. Kaneki talked about school along the way. He didn't seem to enjoy it without you there. You briefly discussed training at the academy and your parents expectations.

"So, do you hate ghouls?" Kaneki asked softly. His tone seemed nervous.

"They hurt people. Some don't do it for survival, but for fun. Ghouls shouldn't exist any longer." You bluntly answered. Kaneki seemed to visibly cringe. You cocked an eyebrow at him. "Let's just order our ice cream," he suggested.

You ordered [Favorite ice cream] while Kaneki got nothing. This also seemed strange to you. "Are you allergic to milk?" You asked. Kaneki just shrugged. "I'd rather share with you." You blushed at his response. "Okay," you replied.

For awhile afterwards you two walked and talked more. Kaneki didn't bring ghouls up anymore, but seemed weary of you. At the end of the night he took you back to the train station. The ride home was lonely. The train was packed as well. You were thankful for a large crowd. How many were humans though?

The next day you were assigned to "shadow" Koutarou Amon and Kureo Mado. They were your parents coworkers. While they far outranked your mother and father, they chose you as a potential partner in the future. Field training was rare, but necessary for trainees. Of course you had to accept the offer.

This is how you found yourself anxiously fidgeting outside of Kureo Mado's office. For so long you've only heard about him. He was skilled, but also crazy. His current partner was a very talented young man. Your parents thought you should try and woo him.

A few moments passed and then Koutarou Amon approached you.

"Hello, [L/N] [F/N]. I'm Koutarou Amon and I'll be your mentor today." He bowed his head slightly and you bowed your head more. The two of you shook hands briefly. "I-Its a pleasure to be working with you today!" You stuttered out as Kureo Mado exited his office. "It'll be a pleasure to have you work beside us today as well." He grinned and shook your hand.

"Come," he said as he motioned for you and Amon to follow him to the office.

"To lure out the ghoul child we should use my two new quinque from her parents," Mado said. Amon nodded his agreement, which you followed.

"[L/N], do you have a quinque yet?" Mado asked with a grin. "No, Sir."

"Take this for tonight, just in case." Mado handed you a quinque. You've only heard of his vast collection. Now you got to use one of his weapons. "Thank you!" You held onto the silver case lovingly. No matter what it was, it was going to be perfect.