Chapter 6

Today's training had been rigorous. Amon was dealing with the aftershock of Mado's death. You too had been shocked by the discovery that night. Your future team had lost a member all because of a single ghoul distracting the both of you. The one eyed ghoul haunted you. He looked so familiar. He sounded like Kaneki as well, but you tried to push that thought out of your mind. Kaneki couldn't be a ghoul. He just lost an eye after his accident.

You shook your head and entered the cafe named Anteiku. The bell rang when you opened the door.

"Welcome!" A purple haired girl greeted you along with Kaneki.

You smiled and sat a table in the corner of the cafe. The cafe seemed busy even for it being the afternoon. Kaneki walked to your table.

"May I take your order, [Y/N]?" He winked at you with his only visible eye. You giggled. "I'll just have tea and a sandwich, please." He nodded then brought the order back to his coworker.

For a short while you reviewed your notes from the academy. It was a brief book of facts about ghouls that by now are common knowledge. You flipped to the page that detailed the name of a ghouls kagune for each section it emerges from. "Hmm..." You continued to stare at the page then looked at the description for it. "It's what the ghoul from the other day had."

Kaneki had been silently lurking over your shoulder. He had hoped you didn't recognize him, but it seemed that you were intrigued. He cleared his throat then placed a teacup by your book. "Here you go. What are you studying for?"

"Nothing in particular, just memorizing these for future fights," you replied. "I can't let a single detail be my downfall." Kaneki visibly stiffened. "Are you okay?" You asked. He nodded then went to another table to take their order.

You sipped at the tea. It was sweet, but soothing. The purple haired girl brought over your sandwiches with a faint smile. "Enjoy your meal."

Kaneki had asked you to come over when he was done with his shift at Anteiku. "Ready to go?" He asked, gently holding your hand. "Yeah. I have all my books." You smiled at him.

"The other night I was out in the field with two investigators and we encountered a one eyed ghoul," you began. "He looked a lot like you. He seemed very weak too. He latched onto my partner then activated his kagune!" Kaneki seemed to grow paler as you went on. He wasn't ready to tell you.

"He's the reason why one of the investigators died that night. He distracted my partner and I until it was too late." You held onto Kaneki's hand tightly. Mado had seemed like a great partner for the future. The man could have taught you so much. For now you would treasure the quinque he loaned you.

"Oh! I also got this really cool quinque!" Kaneki remembered it vividly. How much he tried to ignore how you attacked him. Or how he hurt you.

"You were slouching earlier, did you hurt yourself?" Kaneki asked solemly. "The ghoul hit pretty hard. Knocked me right off my feet." You smiled sheepishly at admitting that. "I had to get stitches to seal the wound properly."

"Oh. I hope you get better soon." Kaneki leaned over and pecked your cheek. You blushed lightly.

You reached the train station just in time to get to Kaneki's apartment. The train was quite crowded, as most people had gotten off work and school. Kaneki held you close during the ride. He loved the scent of your [H/C] hair. "Be careful, [Y/N]. I don't want you to get too hurt." Kaneki smiled at you. "I promise I won't get too injured from now on."

The walk to his apartment was rather short. It was a rather small apartment that was crowded with school books. You sat on the floor in front of the TV. Kaneki sat behind you and pulled you up against his chest.

"Kaneki, why do you wear an eye patch?" You asked softly. He looked away for a moment. "I injured my eye." You turned to face him and caressed his cheek, slowly sliding your fingers under the string for the eye patch. "Can I see it?" He sighed and pulled your hand away. "I'd rather not show you." He was trying to resist the urge to bite into your flesh. Your scent was so taunting. "Please?" You tried again. He didn't protest as you slid off the eye patch. Instead he kept his eye shut. "Kaneki," you whined. He opened his eye slowly and prayed it hadn't changed color.

"Your eye is fine." You whispered in disbelief. You sat back.

"I guess it uh...got better!" Kaneki tried to play it off.

"Are you a ghoul?" You asked him bluntly. Kaneki looked away again. He knew how much you hated ghouls. How much you wanted to hunt the one eyed ghoul. He was that ghoul, but also the man who loved you. "Yes," he whispered.

"Only one eye?" You looked disgusted. He deceived you. Kaneki Ken was a ghoul. You would probably be his next meal. Then you thought about how he told you and Amon to run. Perhaps he's okay.

"Only one eye. I wasn't a ghoul when I first met you." Kaneki tried to get closer to you. He looked so afraid. He knew that you might kill him or run. "But you're still a ghoul! Kaneki how could you lie? I can't be with you!" You stood up and tried to get away from him. He grabbed onto your leg. "Please don't leave. I love you, [Y/N]." Kaneki looked so helpless. You tried to shake him off your leg.

"I love you too much to hurt you, Kaneki." You gave up. [F/N] [L/N], a ghoul investigator in training, is in love with a ghoul.

You sat back down and hugged Kaneki tightly. He sniffled. He was so afraid you would leave him for good. You reached up and stroked his soft black hair.

Oh my ghoul. Don't let me down.