Chapter 7

For a few hours you held onto Kaneki. He was the one you loved from day one. It was in fact love at first sight, but a love that was too good to be true. If only he hadn't been attacked by a ghoul. Then he would still be human.

"[Y/N]?" Kaneki said softly. He tilted your head up to him and leaned his forehead against yours. "I only want you. I promise to never hurt you again." He spoke softly. The only time he would ever hurt you is if you tried to get away from him. You would always be his. "I don't kill people. I'm afraid of myself, [Y/N]." He leaned in and kissed you softly on the lips. For some reason you began to cry. All the weight you held got heavier with his secret.

Kaneki helped you up onto his bed and he laid down next to you. He inhaled your sweet scent. He wanted to eat you, but if he did that his person wouldn't exist. He quickly pinned you down. His eyes were full of his lustful thoughts. "Kaneki?" You tried not to panic. Things were going too fast.

"[Y/N], do you love me?" He kept his eyes locked on yours. "Yes, I love you Kaneki." You whispered to try and calm him. "I love you, [Y/N]. I won't ever let you go." He smiled.

"I won't let you go either, my ghoul." He released his hold on you. "Do you want to go home now? You'll be late for training if you stay here." You grabbed onto his cheeks and kissed him hard. "I'll stay. I can handle one late day."

It had been 49 days since the death of Kureo Mado. Amon had asked you to join him in visiting Mado's grave. Kaneki had become your official boyfriend, but you kept him hidden from your parents. They would get suspicious of his eye patch like you had. Life seemed to be peaceful as of late. Your training was near complete as well.

"[L/N]," Amon called out to you. Without realizing it you had fallen behind. "Ah, sorry." You ran to catch up to him. The grave was among others, but in a small area. The two of you placed flowers onto Mado's grave. For some time you stood in silence. You bit your lip, realizing your own regrets. Kaneki had been the one to distract both of you from saving Mado. Wordlessly Amon grabbed your hand and walked away with you. On your way back a woman walked passed. She had hair like Mado and beautiful eyes. Amon paused briefly before continuing onward with you.

"[L/N], how has your training been?" Amon asked, finally breaking the silence. "I'm almost done with training. I'll be joining the CCG in no time." You smiled faintly. Your progress was far above average. "I can't wait to have you as a partner then." Amon smiled at you and ruffled your [H/C] hair. "You'll do a fine job as a ghoul investigator. Just like your parents."

Amon walked you home before departing on his own. You hadn't moved in with Kaneki for fear of your parents wanting to meet him. Kaneki would be safer this way. You took off your shoes and stepped into your apartment. It was rather large for one person, but your parents wanted the best for you. You never had visitors other than Kaneki and your mother. You walked to the kitchen to raid the fridge for a quick meal. "Welcome home, [Y/N]." Kaneki whispered into your ear. You jumped in surprise. "W-When did you get here?" You asked. "I used the spare key. I was lonely so I came over, but you weren't home yet. I saw you with that man from awhile ago." Kaneki wrapped his arms around your waist. He was always getting possessive these days. At first you thought he had been joking, but now it was getting strange. "He's my partner for when I start working at the CCG." You tried to free yourself from Kaneki's grip. "He was holding your hand, [Y/N]." Kaneki closed the fridge with his foot, but kept his hold on you. "He likes you. You like him, don't you?" Kaneki spun you around, his eyes looked full of anger. "No, I don't like him! I got separated from him earlier. He did that so I wouldn't get lost. I'm sorry." You were starting to panic. He was the one ghoul you wouldn't hurt, but he would scare you so much. There is a switch in him. Kaneki let you go, scowling. "Don't ever let him touch you again."

"Kaneki, I'm going to bed. Please go home." You kept your eyes on the ground. Kaneki sighed and walked to the door. "I'm sorry, [Y/N]." He left. You sighed with relief. He wasn't a threat if he was out of your apartment.

You went back to making a quick meal for dinner. You made miso soup, as you had nothing much laying around. You had to go food shopping soon. Maybe you'll go visit home soon. That will give you a break from Kaneki.

Kaneki walked in the darkness. He loved you so much, but he knew that he snapped at you a lot. He wanted you to only be his. That man was getting in his way now. Kaneki could tell that he liked you as more than a partner. He sighed and kept heading home. If only you knew how much Kaneki cared about you.

That night you slept well. You woke up to the sun shining through the closed curtains. It looked like a nice day. You got out of bed and checked your phone. Kaneki had sent you a bunch of texts as usual. You didn't read them. You put your phone down and took a shower.

While you were drying off your hair you got a phone call. "[L/N] [F/N], we need you at the head office. Your training is complete enough to enlist you in the 20th ward." At the news you smiled. "I'll be there in an hour. Thank you." You ended the call and got ready. You brushed out your long [H/C] hair. You wore a white button down with a navy blue skirt and a matching blazer. You tucked your phone into an inside pocket of your blazer before slipping on black heels.

The run to the train station barely made you break a sweat. The training really paid off. Kaneki called while you were on your way to headquarters. "Good morning, Kaneki."

"Good morning, [Y/N]. Would you like to go out for coffee?" Kaneki asked excitedly.

"I can't today. I'm going to the CCG headquarters. I'm qualified enough to join the forces." You could hear how heartbroken he was. He hardly got any days off, but he always came to visit after work. "Oh, I understand. Good luck and don't let that handsy bastard touch you again." Kaneki hung up. You sighed. He was really complicated. He was your ghoul and your own biggest secret.

You sat with two other men outside of an elevator. Today you were to meet Amon again. Shinohara was waiting with you, but he seemed to be there for another purpose.

Amon seemed surprised to see Shinohara there. "Yo!" Shinohara said with a smile.

"Mr. Shinohara! Don't tell me you're coming to the 20th ward." Amon said as he approached the four of you. You stood beside a man in a suit similar to yours. "No, I'm on something else. These three are going to the 20th ward." Shinohara explained.

"Mr. Hoji!" Amon exclaimed. "Kotaro, long time no see." He replied while shaking Amon's hand. "It's been too long!"

"M-Mr. Amon!" The man next to you said nervously. You cringed slightly at him. "P-Pleased to meet you!" He saluted Amon. "Investigator Second Grade Takizawa Seido, Head Office Control Division One!" The man known as Mr. Hoji laughed.

"He apparently is a fan of yours. He's been quite anxious." Hoji explained. "A-Assistant Special Investigator Hoji! That is to say I mean..."

"Nice to meet you, Investigator Takizawa." Amon turned and greeted the man. "I am delighted to meet you!" Takizawa said. You just smiled at the other men.

"I am [L/N] [F/N]. I just completed my training. It's a pleasure to meet all of you," you bowed your head and smiled at all of them.

"Amon," Shinohara began, "These three are going to be overseeing the 20th ward for a bit. You're being assigned to a special task force."

"Special task force you say?" Amon said in surprise. "Yes, Marude told me. The 11th Ward, together with me."

You watched as Amon and Shinohara went in a different direction while Hoji showed you and Takizawa around. Today was going to be a long day. It was well worth it. Even if this hadn't been your dream for the future, you were fighting for a better world.