6th Capital (Part 1)

Chapter 11

The others awake to Laya humming the song she sang on her final night in the tower.

When she realizes that everyone else is now awake and listening to her hum, Laya stops humming and speaks up. "Good morning."

"Morning." They all whisper back, the beautiful melody of Laya's song still playing in their minds.

When none of them move to get off the bed however, Laya speaks up with a smile. "Shall we lay here all day?"

This snaps them all out of their dazes and they proceed to remove themselves from the beds.

"What was the song you were humming?" Valentino asks, curious as to it's beautiful melody. The others also turn to listen to the answer of this question.

Laya hops off the bed and smiles at him, but cannot open her mouth to tell them that she created it on her last night in the tower.

You cannot speak of the tower to them. Ayal says.

Leo moves the moved bed back to it's original position, as if just to fill the silence, and a confused expression makes it's way onto Valentino's face as he wonders why Laya did not answer his question.

"I need to tell the rest of the cirque members that I will not be coming back." Valentino says, heading for the door. "It will only take a short while. Feel free to freshen up if you like."

As he says the last line, he seems to pointedly look at Leo. Leo growls at the insult. Valentino then proceeds to leave the room. Laya takes a seat on the edge of the closest bed.

"Laya, would you like me to braid your hair?" Sibyl asks, approaching Laya with a smile.

Laya returns her smile. "That would be much appreciated. Thank you."

Sibyl settles onto the bed directly behind Laya, and feeling of warmth travels up her fingers when they brush Laya's hair. As Sibyl begins braiding Laya's hair, Leo takes a seat on the floor before Laya and takes her bare feet into his large hands.

Laya is confused by the action, but does not pull her feet away.

"Don't you wear shoes?" Leo asks, twisting her feet to see if there are any injuries on them. "Are your feet ok?"

Laya smiles at him. "Shoes are not necessary."

Leo scoffs at her answer. "As long as your feet aren't being hurt."

Laya nods. "So have any of you been to the 6th Capital before?"

Cade nods his head, and when he sees Laya's gaze on him, he smiles at her and speaks up. "I've been there before yes. There are many entertainment industries there, like for music and sports."

"Music?" Laya asks him. "Have you performed there then?"

Cade shakes his head. "The entertainment people are not as nice as they try to make the public believe. Some of those celebrities are terrible people...though they do have lots of good things to steal."

Laya laughs at his comment at the end. Cade smile brightens.

Sibyl looks confused, while Leo speaks up. "I knew that you smelled bad. You're a thief?"

Cade's smile immediately drops from his face. "You're not one to talk!"

Leo growls at him and tightens his grip slightly on Laya's feet. "Huh? You got something to say?"

Sibyl sighs and ties the end of Laya's braided hair. The long braid would go past her waist if she stood up. "Stop it guys."

Cade and Leo look like they are about to tell Sibyl something, but just then Valentino re-enters the room.