Wait... are they?? MORE than BFFs?

Squidward tried to remember if he's always been so cold, so closed off, so... unlovable? He played a tune on his clarinet* and thought of his muse. He couldn't even begin to sort out his feelings about the bubbly bubble blowing sponge. All he knew is that when he was around Spongebob it was like looking directly at the sun. So much warmth, so overwhelming and sometimes it hurt. He knew he lashed out as a result of not knowing how to deal with it all. The positivity, the baby blue eyes protected by thick eyelashes even the most fluttery butterfly would envy and his smile... that smile is what struck Squidward in the heart like a jellyfish trying to shock his system into feeling something again. There's that word again. Feeling. It felt like salt on his tongue, he pursed his lips and blew another note through the clarinet. The only way he knew how to express himself was through his art, his music- and no one wanted to hear it. Well, no one except. UGH SPONGEBOB!!! Why does his laugh echo in his head like a curse by a cupid with a sick sense of humor? Suddenly the notes turned sour as they usually do when frustration is brought on. He put down his clarinet and made his way to the window to close the blinds and give up on the day a little early. What he saw made him pause. Spongebob in a spotted dress? He couldn't help but notice it emphasized his own freckles and craters that he loved-- AHEM appreciated so much. He looked even brighter than the sun today and Squidward couldn't look away. The blinding light he exuded was worth the beauty and sheer joy. Squidward then noticed Patrick by his side. He groaned. He pretended he couldn't stand Spongebob but Patrick- THAT ONE- he genuinely despised. His incompetence felt like an excuse to leach off those too kind, those like Spongebob. What was that buffoon up to now? They were taking a stroll clearly. With- with a STROLLER? What in the seven seas is going on? Squidward wasn't above being nosey (I mean just look at him) so he pulled out binoculars and adjusted them on the moving carriage. A baby scallop? He lowered the binoculars and fixed his gaze on the two. They looked domestic, sharing knowing looks at each other. He couldn't understand. He didn't want to understand. Were they MORE than best friends? He never imagined Spongebob wanting to be in a relationship with someone dumber than the rock he lives in. Squidward has no right to feel jealousy. He would never admit anything so why did it hurt to see the best person in Bikini Bottom happy? Maybe because he wanted the Sponge to be happy with him. Squidward's heart of stone cracked as he finally closed the blinds, dragged his feet to bed and fell into his pillow. Goodnight cruel world, see you tomorrow.

* this was the song he was playing :')