DAY TWO: Merry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AU: Rainbow Quest Aftermath

Characters: Rusty (OC), Happy Orange Steve

Story Status: Complete

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If there was any word to describe the Orange Kingdom, it would be merry. The Christmas spirit always had a home with the orange steves, and there was a reason it was known as the most festive kingdom of the seven.

   If someone walked into the Orange Kingdom before the Christmas season, they would see no changes. If they came once it had started, however, the kingdom could hardly be known as the same one from before. Festive lights would be strung on every house, and decorations would line the yards of them. Each steve found a way to be creative in their decorating. Even Gerald's castle was the cherry on top, with more lights than the rest of the kingdom combined. Some would even call it a lighthouse.

   But not every orange steve could be in the kingdom to celebrate.

   The two most notable orange steves absent were Happy and Rusty, who served in the Colorless Guard. Of course, other orange steves lived in villages, but they aren't as known as the mentioned pair.

   One of Happy's favorite times of the year was Christmas. He always found enjoyment in strolling through the kingdom at night, basking in the joy of several colored lights guiding his path. Everyone was generally more positive around this time of year, too, which made Happy's bright attitude impossibly brighter.

   However, the orange steve was aware of the consequences of joining the Colorless Guard. He knew when he did, he wouldn't be able to celebrate Christmas with the rest of his people like he used to. But he was doing this for Funny and everyone else he lost, and that was enough to warm his heart.

Rusty was an entirely different story.

The steve was younger than Happy, but he was more serious and unyielding in his emotions. In some sense, he was a younger version of Light. As the captain's apprentice, taking after his mentor made sense.

Rusty vaguely remembered celebrating Christmas in the Orange Kingdom. It was only shortly after he was created that he aspired to join the Colorless Guard, to which he ended up doing. Now he was Light's apprentice and future captain for the Guard he admired so dearly. He had no time for silly festivities, and neither did the other guards.

When the apprentice caught wind that Happy had left for the Orange Kingdom and hadn't returned, Light sent him to retrieve the missing elite. It was cold when Rusty stepped out of the headquarters, but it was nothing he couldn't handle. His armor was enough to keep him warm.

A quick teleport from outside the base to the Orange Kingdom got Rusty to his destination. The first thing he ended up noticing was all the lights strung up around the kingdom. Some flashed while others just shone a radiant, tinted white.

"Whoa..." The apprentice couldn't help but gaze upon the wondrous sight before him. For a moment, time just seemed to pause as he slowly made his way up the kingdom's main road. The lights were almost hypnotizing.

But then Rusty shook his head. He had a mission to complete, not gawk at some little lightbulbs.

   The young steve briskly made his way down the road of the kingdom. All the lights lit his path and made it easier for him to see where he was going, and even helped him spot the missing guard.

   Happy was sat on a bench towards the middle of the kingdom, his helmet off beside him. A smile rested on his face as he watched the Christmas lights bathe the humble kingdom in several colors. The feeling of aching to be a normal orange steve again tugged at his heart.

   He missed this more than he realized.

   "Happy." The steve was snapped out of his thoughts when a voice interrupted them. Happy looked up, finding Rusty standing next to the bench. "Light asked me to bring you back to the headquarters."

   The elite nodded. "I knew I would be missed sooner or later. But come," he patted the spot beside him, "admire the lights with me for a minute."

   Rusty shook his head. "We don't have time to waste staring at lightbulbs."

   "Just do it, please." Happy insisted. He didn't want to do it, but he ended up using the puppy eyes.

   At first, Rusty didn't budge. His arms were folded over his chest as he stared the elite down. But not even he could resist the look and sat down with a sigh.

   "What's so special about looking at lightbulbs?" The apprentice asked. His gaze traveled up to Gerald's castle. "They're just lights."

   Happy, ironically, frowned. "You never got to celebrate Christmas in the Orange Kingdom, did you?"

   "Only once, before I joined the Colorless Guard,"Rusty pulled a leg up to his chest, his arms draping over his knee, "but I don't have time for little festivities. None of us do."

   "Christmas isn't just a 'little festivity.'" Happy shifted so that he could face the apprentice fully. His bright, topaz eyes suddenly held a passion never seen before. "Christmas is about bringing people together and celebrating the end of the year. We give gifts to show our appreciation for each other and hang up lights to signify the never-ending light brought to this world. You can't just call that a 'little festivity.'"

   Rusty, though calculated and sharp-tongued, had no words to speak.

   "Maybe one day we can ask Light if we can come here to celebrate Christmas ourselves." Happy continued. "And if we do, I can show you Christmas is something we all have time for."

   "Even in the Colorless Guard?"

   "Even in the Colorless Guard."

   Rusty dropped his gaze. "I guess we'll see about that, then."

   "Come on," Happy stood up, sparing a glance at the lights again, "let's get back to the headquarters now, alright?"

   Rusty, too, glanced around him at the Christmas lights again. This time he had more of an appreciation for them. "Yeah, let's go. Light will be wondering why we took so long."

   And with those words, the pair ventured off into the silent night.