DAY EIGHT: Chestnuts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AU: Steve Legends

Characters: Colle, Beef, Sharp

Story Status: In Progress (will be finished later)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   "So...remind me what these are again?" Beef asked, a small nut between two of his fingers. He held it up in front of him, his eyes narrowing to focus on the object.

   Colle gave a faint smile. "It's a chestnut. Forest Steve gave some to me awhile ago. He said they were good to roast around Christmas as a snack."

   "So they're only good around Christmas?" Beef lowered the nut, but didn't let go of it.

   Sharp, who sat on the meeting room table, shook his head. "They're good year-round, but they're a snack that's usually eaten around Christmas."

   The archivist looked to the collector, who nodded in agreement with his words. Sharp smiled, then turned his attention back to Beef as he "oooh"'d in realization.

   "So what do you do with these chestnuts?" The threat analyst inquired. He took to leaning back against the table, the chestnut now resting in his fist. "Do you just eat them as they are?"

"Uhh..." Colle looked down. Forest had mentioned something to do with the nuts, in an off-hand comment, but what was it? "Forest Steve told me not to eat them raw. He said they tasted better once you did something to them, but I can't remember what..."

"Maybe we can roast them?" Sharp suggested, hopping off the table.

The memory clicked in the collector's head. "Oh, yeah, that's what Forest Steve told me. He said they were better once they were roasted."

   "What are we waiting for?" Beef made his way to the door. "Let's go cook these things."

   "We can't." Sharp told him.

   "Why not?"

   "There's a blizzard, remember?"

   "Oh, right..."

Colle glanced down for a second. Making it to his house wouldn't be an option; it was located halfway across the kingdom. Sharp's was even further and on one of the borders.

"Maybe we can make a run for it to your house, Beef." The collector suggested, sneaking a glance at the door. The harsh wind outside beat the wood every now and then. "Yours is probably the closest to the Academy."