DAY FOUR: Snowballs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AU: Rainbow Quest Aftermath

Characters: Sky (OC), blue steve villager, Blue Leader, Ghoul

Story Status: In Progress

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Christmas was not technically celebrated in the World Beyond. The blue steves of the afterlife had never heard of it until certain spirits explained it to them, and even then, it wasn't quite made a tradition.

That is, until the Blue Leader got to celebrate it in the Rainbow Kingdom.

Anyone could imagine the poor steve's confusion when he saw the decorations be displayed and special foods be sold in bakeries. It was only when the Green Leader showed him the festivities of Christmas that the Blue Leader was able to understand the holiday. Even then, he brought it to his people in the Rainbow Kingdom, and they gave it a chance, too.

Only when the blue steves were able to return to the World Beyond did they decide to celebrate it officially.

But, again, not every blue steve knew of it.

Sky, a younger blue steve in comparison to most, had never been able to participate in Christmas before. He had just come into existence a month after it was over. While he was young, he was also curious, and when he heard of Christmas, he was fascinated.

The blue steve village he lived in had lights and wreaths over every doorway. At night, the lights glowed like the stars in the sky. Some wreaths, mostly composed of branches and trinkets from the Overworld, had lights woven into them, so even they sparkled as well.

   Upon the first night of seeing the light strands, Sky unintentionally created a habit of taking a walk through the village everyday. No one seemed to mind him; some didn't even know he was out there. It wasn't like Sky cared, anyways. Curiosity always dragged him outside, into the cold of night, in one way or another.

On a particular night, however, his curiosity nearly got him in danger.

It started off like any other night, with Sky taking his daily trek through the village. Nothing was out of the ordinary. Some blue steves were even still out, but they were returning home for the night. None paid any mind to what was going on around them.

Until a strange noise filled the air, that is.

The sound resembled an ear-splitting screech, but none that Sky had ever heard before. He had stopped near the village entrance when said phenomenon reached his ears.

   The young steve peered over his shoulder. The others behind him had begun to panic. It was as if they knew something he didn't. But what?

   Sky turned back to the entrance, just to be smacked in the face with a snowball. He stumbled back in surprise, wiping the snow off his eyes in the process. When he could see again, he finally saw the source of the screech.

   What he saw stood just outside the village entrance. It resembled no spirit he had ever seen, and he had met quite a few to know what they looked like. It was small, around the height of a pig, with glowing, white eyes, and dark blue hair.

   The outfit it wore could've been mistaken for it's skeleton, but Sky knew it wasn't. It was a mixture of blue hues, ombré patterns blending them together. It was strange to look at.

   Against many's better judgement, Sky began to approach the being. He was slow, like a hunter stalking his prey, as he passed through the village entrance.