Chapter 2

Peggy and I read through the files. I've pushed my chair to Peggy's desk. There are very few men in this office, and most of them have been shipped overseas to the war.  I lift the page I've been reading up to the light. Reading through the black ink I find what I was looking for.

"Project... Rebirth," I whisper.

"Hmm?" Peggy asks.

"The name of the operation, Project Rebirth."

"Interesting. What else have you found?" She inquires.

"Nothing else. The color is too thick and the writing is too small. I can't read anything." I'm disappointed, this is all they tell us?

"Well, let's just stick to what we should know." She whispers.

"Oh yeah, we're going to camp Lehigh in the middle of nowhere to choose some nobody for this German's experiment. Do we even know what we are looking for?" 

"No..." She starts, "But we're meant to help train them, so that is what we'll do."

"And maybe find out what they're going to do with them after they're 'ready'."

"Sure, but let's not get ahead of ourselves." She stops me. 

We finish flipping through the files and head out towards the exit. Peggy looked around and walked out and disappeared into the crowd outside the office. 

I slowly walked back to my apartment, yet I could feel someone following me, or watching me. I hurried my steps and ran inside the apartment complex. Climbing the steps as fast as I could I finally reached the second floor. As I walked to my apartment I noticed a strange misshapen package in front of my door.

I picked it up, and strained under the weight, it was carefully wrapped in white paper. I hauled it inside and placed it on my bedside table. I tore open the paper, revealing a pale blue machine covered in buttons and a bottle of some household product.

I carefully examined the bottle, and I found a slight ridge on the side, along with a strange weight imbalance. I pulled out the side of the bottle. I dodged out of the way as an antenna popped out. A cable dangles from the bottle of the bottle, it plugs into the machine perfectly. 

I set the bottle down and wait. Slowly the top of the antenna starts to rotate, flashing red. A ticking noise comes from the machines, some of the buttons start to depress and a message is stamped out on the paper.

Welcome, Anastasia. Or should we say, Elektra. We are HYDRA. Mission report.//

Who am I?

I type it out carefully, not to make mistakes. I add in what seems to be the signal to terminate a message.

//

You are HYDRA's eyes on the inside, and you know what we want. Anastasia knows.//

A sudden sharp pain in my head, and the control of my hands is ripped away as I type.

SSR secret experiment. Project Rebirth. German scientist employed .//

Location?//

Camp Lehigh//

Keep surveillance, and do not forget who you work for. HH//

HH//

The splitting pain in my head stops as I slowly black out.

A cold green hallway. A short man with grey hair and circular glasses. He stands above a electric-chair like construction. "This is where the subject will be prepared for the procedure. A combination of electrical impulses and code words will be utilized to make them compliant."