Chapter 19

(bold is german)

•,¸,.·'1945'·.,¸,•

.·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ Russia *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ .

They stand on a plateau overlooking a massive canyon. A single train track hugs a massive cliff. Ana sits on a snowdrift, next to a radio transceiver and holds one set of headphones to her ear. German chatters on the other side, the signal is tinny. 

"Requesting permission to accelerate to maximum speed."

The voice of a HYDRA dispatcher replies.

"Permission granted."

"We were right, Zola's on that train," Jones mutters, taking off the headphone set he had been holding to his ear.

Ana nodded, "HYDRA dispatch gave him permission to open the throttle," She talked her own set of headphones off, "Wherever he's going they must need him bad ." She gets up, dusting off her pants and stretching her legs.

"Let's get moving because they're moving like the devil," Falsworth peers through his binoculars at the train. The wire clacks and jolts around, and Steve grabs it to steady it- Bucky attaches the carabiners to it. 

"We've only got about a ten-second window, you miss that window, we're bugs on a windshield." Steve grabs the handles and steadies his breathing before he jumps off.

"Mind the gap," Ana grabs the handlebars Morita holds out for her. Dougan moves closer to Steve, peering down into the ravine.

"Better get moving bugs." He grins, and they jump off of the ledge, one at a time. The wind rushes from her stomach as she plunges deep into the chasm. The zipping of the wire and howling of the wind are her only companions. The wall of the chasm comes up to meet her in a rush of grey, seconds before she's pulverized on the rock she lets go of the handlebars. 

She almost slips off the train as she lands on the sleek black surface. She grasps the top of the train and regains her footing. Dougan and Jones land on the train with a lot more grace and agility despite being larger and heavier.

"I thought all you Russkies were ballerinas, or y'know graceful." He chuckles as Ana peels herself from the surface of the train.

She gives him a deadpan glare, "Not a word." She hisses, turning on her heel as sharply as she dares, and makes her way to the front of the train. The wind whisks away whatever he replied.

One foot in front of the other, she slowly reaches the glass-paneled cabin at the front of the train. A bespectacled man sits anxiously behind the man controlling the train. Muttering into his ear as he desperately tries to propel the train across the gorge. A gunshot cracks through the sound of the wind. A tiny hole appears an inch away from Ana's hand, she twirls on her knees. Jones peers back at her through the scope of his rifle.

An explosion suddenly rocks the train as the two men inside the cabin whirl into them. The bespectacled man fixes his eyes on Ana and grins, his face stretching too far to be possible. A shiver runs through her spine and her bones seem to freeze in place as he fixes her with a penetrating glare.

Dougan and Jones don't notice her hesitation and jump down into the cabin, grabbing the man by his arms. Ana stays perched on the train, ignoring the whipping air and biting cold. Jones moves to whack Zola over the head but he stops him.

"Leave me conscious or I will kill you." He says quietly, he knows he's in control. Dougan smirks as the engineer slows the train.

"With what you German crackpot."

"I'm Swiss," Zola hisses back, "And I won't do anything- she'll do it for me." He looks up at Ana, who sits as still as a statue, staring down at the men.

"C'mon grandpa, let's get you out of this train and into American custody." Zola doesn't move.

"Shoot that man soldier." He says coldly, gesturing towards the engineer who turns around with wide eyes.

He blubbers on the spot for a second, "But-but sir? Why?"

"You know too much," 

"Ana, don't do this," Dougan orders as she draws her gun from her holster, cocking it. She feels something deep inside resisting the motion, her limbs dragging through syrup as she aims the gun at the man's head. 

A gunshot sounds, ricocheting from the walls of the canyon off into infinity. Jones points the gun at Ana, his finger wobbling on the trigger, "The next one's for you." He snarls.

"That's enough, put the guns down," Ana instantly obliges, "Both of you." Dougan takes the opportunity to sock the man over the head. Ana stands up on the now stationary train, her legs wobbling as they make their way back onto the tracks, and Steve is nowhere to be found.

Separate extraction teams bring them back to the base. Ana is instantly greeted by Peggy, who looks at her sadly but brings her to a conference hall. Phillips stands there solemnly, his arms clasped behind his back.

"Yegorova, you're going to Germany." He orders.

"Yes sir," She answers, the room is pulsing and the lights are too bright.

"We've found the Red Skull's main base but we need your help with surveillance."

"When do I leave?" She asks flatly.

"Fifteen minutes to say your goodbyes." He replies before leaving the room.

"That won't be necessary," she whispers back. Steve has gone off somewhere, Dougan and Jones won't talk to her, and Peggy is buried under paperwork. There's no one left.

She leaves the conference room and leans against a wall in a dim hallway, nobody pays her much attention as she collects her breath.

She reports to the hangar exactly fifteen minutes later, where she's given her gear and loads onto a plane. The plan is simple if you call jumping from a parachute onto a mountain simple. She'll take the photos and then deliver them to a dead drop in a quant hillside town five miles from the base. She'll do this for three rotations, staying in a tiny inn between stints on the mountain.

The flight from Germany takes less time than expected, before she knows it she's connecting a carabiner to the plane and preparing to drop. The desolate white landscape churns underneath her like an ocean. She takes a deep breath and releases the clip and drops out of the plane.

Wind rushes through her hair and tiny snowflakes sting her cheeks as she deploys the parachute with a jolt. She glides down to the relative safety of the mountain, wind, and snow tumbling in a flurry around her. She settled into her position, a large metal construction jutting out of the mountain her only company as she took photo after photo until she ran out of the film.

The first two rotations went as planned, but the third did not.

She clambered to the top of the slope, stooping down into the snow, and digging out a hole for the next eight hours. She was so distracted by the sound of the camera she didn't hear the footsteps behind her. 

With an incredible feeling of deja vu, a hand wrapped around her neck and plucked her from the safety of her hiding spot. Had she not relaxed her muscled to prevent them from cramping she might have escaped, but as it is, the figure brought the butt of their gun down onto her head, striking again and again, until the snow was pink in a halo around her mangled scalp.

Three more figures crested the hill from where they had been hiding to help him bring the body back. They carried her off into the distance, and that's the last time she was seen for a long, long time.

A/N: First movie out of the way, only like fifteen more to go. I'm kidding ofc, but there is a lot more content that I'm very excited about.

-beanz