Chapter 13

(Languages are the same way as the other flashback-y chapter)

•,¸,.·'1932'·.,¸,•

Olga took a deep breath as she started talking again, looking into Ana's innocent brown eyes.

"We have to move." She whispers, looking around. The three people in the pub look so far gone that they can't even process the table in front of them.

"Okay? Why?" Ana is confused, she thought they were relatively safe where they were.

"We should move to inland Poland, Germany is concerning me. The National Socialists are the largest party." Olga didn't need to explain the politics behind it, she knew that Ana understood.

"To Krakow, we'll be safer there." She says. Ana nods leaning back in her chair.

"Is this because of the shooting? Will Honza be able to come too?" She starts spitting questions until Olga can silence her with a wave of her hand. 

She puts her head in her hands, sighing. "In part, yes, but it is simply not safe for us here anymore. Although we need to spread the message to more people, we cannot do this at the cost of our safety."

Ana just gazes at her in slight admiration, "Okay, I see. Will we still do this there?" She asks.

"Yes of course, but I think you should get a formal education, beyond what I can teach you here. You'll have a new start- one that isn't tainted by my reputation,"

"I don't mind being associated with you," Ana mutters quietly.

Olga sighs, "I wish I could say the same about you. But people see our political affiliation as wrong- they don't want the revolution that would help them so much." Ana nods.

"So I'll go to school. What about Honza?" Ana pushes.

"Fine. But I can barely support one orphan." Olga sighs, hoping the girl would give it up.

Ana waves her hand, "I meant just for the trip, he has some family in Krakow." Olga sighs in relief, she had raised Ana since she was nine, after her mother (also a close friend of Olga's) had died.

"But I thought he was Czechoslovak, shouldn't he go back to Prague?" She asks.

"He's from Mírov, but his parents are dead, and his aunt married a Pole in Krakow." Ana leans back against the counter. Olga sighs, and nods.

"Okay," Ana grinned, happy her closest friend could come around.

They set about packing up the next day. Ana made sure that she left nothing behind, not even the pin she stole from the man after he blew his brains out under her window. She had wanted to ask Olga about it but during the year that followed, she hadn't found a proper opportunity to broach the subject.

They spent hours waiting in the train terminal as the trains flew by. During the hours, Olga seemed to grow older by about ten years. She was in her late thirties but looked at least fifty, worry coloring her face- not unexpected considering the kind of life that she lived.

Finally, their train came, pilling into the third-class compartment Olga leaned over to the children, whispering.

"You do not speak Polish, or Czech, Russian, German, or any of the languages people may speak here. Speak to no one, do I make myself clear?" They nodded, satisfied, Olga let them sit down on either side of her, wrapping her arms around them. Following her lead, the children buried their heads in the woman's shawl- keeping them from the eyes of any passer-by.

Ana dozes off in a blissful, kept safe in the haven of Olga's stew and beer scent, it was the smell of home, of the pub that had been her home for three years.

Krakow is a grey city, with grey buildings, grey streets, and grey people. Life seemed to move too slowly yet too fast- slipping from people constantly complaining about how bored they were. Bad days moved as slowly as molasses while better days were gone in the blink of an eye.

The school was the one place Ana hated more than anything, children shunned her, and they called her a communist pig. That she didn't mind- after all it was true- but she never told them that. Her teachers were satisfied, evidently unaware of the three-year gap in her schooling career. Olga kept out of sight and when she did appear she made sure to keep her political affiliations a secret.

She never saw Honza again after they separated at the train station, she hoped that his aunt and uncle treated him better than Olga had. The city became a prison for Ana, as she was no longer allowed to explore the city like in Gdańsk. Olga seemed set on the fact that Ana should leave being a little revolutionary in the past and focus on her education.

Ana didn't give a damn about what Olga said, but her mother had always tried to instill a thirst for knowledge in her, she wanted her to be more than just another face in the crowd. She wanted her to be different from her brother.

A/N: This is just a little info filler chapter for some of the other stuff that happens. In essence, most extremist views (whether left or right wing) tend to end up with similar goals. This is why I think Ana was able to go from communist to Nazi relatively quickly (other than the brainwashing) because she was young and their aims looked the same.

-beanz