Something More?

The Week Before the Yule Ball

Hermione was walking through the corridors, attempting to rush back to the common room. She had finally finished her homework and she wanted to make a start on a new book she had borrowed from the library.

"Sorry." Fred muttered as he rounded the corner suddenly and bumped into Hermione, consequently making her drop all the scrolls she was holding. Bending down to help her pick them up, Fred thought he saw 'Hermione Weasley' scribbled in the corner. "Oh yeah? Who is it then Granger? Cant be Ron; you have taste. Cant be Bill or Charlie they're a bit too old for a 14 year old. As for Percy... SO me or Georgie?" Fred wiggled his eyebrows and much to her embarrassment Hermione blushed. She thought she had thrown that piece of doodling away. It was a moment of distraction.  "Neither. I have taste as you said; you just can't read my writing." 

At the Ball

Twirling Angelina around Fred smiled at his date; she was stunning. Her long black hair was braided and her purple dress enhanced her height and the gorgeous colour of her eyes. Fred was so glad he had asked Angelina. Whilst there were many beautiful girls at Hogwarts, he knew that Angelina would be the one he would have the most fun with. "Just going for a drink!" Angelina shouted over the music. Fred nodded and glanced around the room, looking for his twin. To his surprise George was surrounded by a group of girls, all trying to get him to dance with him. The two made eye contact and Fred gave a supportive wink before continuing to look around the room.

Finally, his eyes landed on the most stunning girl he had ever seen. She was wearing a stunning floaty, periwinkle-blue dress that gave the impression of a princess. Anxious to look at this girls face, Fred looked up and almost gasped; it was Hermione.

The same 14-year-old who he had teased for scribbling his surname was here, looking gorgeous; her usually bushy hair was sleek and shiny. As he stared, Fred noticed her eyes were sparkling even more than usual. But then, to his dismay he realised Hermione looked sad, standing alone drinking her butterbeer. Deciding it wasn't fair for her to be alone, Fred made the choice to go over to her.

Walking over, Fred was surprised that he was nervous. This could not be the same girl who was best friends with his dork of a little brother. "Hey Hermione." He said, still shocked by how mature she looked. Scanning her face, Fred realised she had tear streaks down her face. "Hey Fred." She said, giving him a watery smile.

"Wheres Ron?"

Shrugging, Hermione took a sip of her butterbeer, giving herself a mustache as she did. "He got pathetically jealous. I think Harry took him back to the dorm."

Handing her a napkin from a table, Fred asked "So you came with Harry?", curious as to why Ron was jealous. Fred had been late to the Ball due to a malfunction with one of the Twin's latest inventions; they had just managed to get it back in the box before it exploded. Hermione shook her head as she took the napkin, laughing slightly. "No, Harry did not ask me. I'm actually here with Viktor."

Fred raised an eyebrow "I didn't realise there was a boy called Viktor in your year. What house is he?"

Before Hermione could respond,  Seeker legend Viktor Krum walked over. "Herminny would you like to dance again?" Came his thick accent.

Hermione grimaced at his mispronunciation. Never the less she smiled up at him. "Of course Viktor. See you Fred." Viktor took Hermione's hand and pulled her close to him, causing her to giggle like Fred had never heard before. 

So that was her date. Viktor Krum. A person Fred idolised. The way Krum moved on a Quidditch pitch was nothing short of perfect.

As they danced away, Fred felt an unusual feeling creeping up from the pit of his stomach; he was jealous. "Fred come dance!" Angelina called from the dance floor, clearly refreshed from her drink. No, it couldnt be jealousy. He was just being protective. That must be it. In the few years he had known Hermione, he had become protective over her, the same way he was Harry and all his many siblings. That must be it. 

Shaking the feeling away Fred joined his date, but he couldn't help keeping an eye on Hermione at the same time.