Goodbye?

The Trio had had an unusually quiet year at Hogwarts. Harry was having special lessons with Dumbledore and finding out everything they could about Voldemort. But then, as always something went wrong. Draco - the same boy Hermione thought had changed - had let Death Eaters into the castle. Thankfully no one was injured. Apart from Dumbledore. He lost his life against Snape. And for that, Snape would pay.

The plan to remove Harry from the Weasley's went off as everyone expected; horribly. But what was done, was done.

Standing in the field, Hermione helped put the tent up. The last week had been hectic; not only did George lose an ear, but Mad Eye had died. The Soldier that should have led the upcoming war; dead. It was too much to bear.

But despite this there was a wedding to prepare for; Bill and Fleur's.

Once the tent was set up the inside had to be decorated; Hermione was in charge of the tables and chairs. Thankful she had had her 17th birthday (unlike poor Harry) last year and so with a wave of her wand everything was in place.

"I've always admired your wand work." Fred said, startling Hermione. He walked behind her and took her hand in his. Without a word the two walked across the fields.

Once they got to a seculded place, Hermione performed protection charms. She hated using Snape's spells but you couldn't deny, they gave you privacy. Under a tree, Fred sat patiently. Once she had decided the place was secure enough, Hermione joined him.

"I'm going." Hermione said simply.

"I know." Fred said pulling her closer to him.

"I have to."

"I know" Fred said again. "So you have to wear this."

From his back pocket, Fred drew out a box. Inside was the most gorgeous necklace Hermione had ever seen; a silver heart with gold engraving 'Fred' it seemed to whisper. "Its beautiful."

"A beautiful necklace for a beautiful girl." Moving her hair out of the way, Fred placed the necklace on her, kissing her neckline as he did so. "It'll keep you safe. Its a heart; see - you stole my real heart and I dont think you should be allowed to forget that so you have to wear a constant reminder. Its enchanted too; connected with this bracelet (Fred lifted up his wrist to show her). This means that we'll always know the other person is okay." Hermione leaned against Fred's chest, hearing his steady heartbeat calmed her down.

"How long till you go?" Fred asked, kissing her forehead and pulling her closer to him.

"After the wedding. But we're not sure exactly." Fred nodded. "I have something for you too." Hermione blushed, pulling away and taking a small bag out of her coat pocket. "Its just a little something."

Taking the bag in his hands, Fred tipped it out. Inside, was a small stone shaped like a heart.

"The ocean formed it. Its superstition that it means it was meant for the one you love most; your true love. It keeps you safe from worry and fear. The chance of the ocean doing this are one in a billion."

"Hermione Granger, since falling for you, my biggest fear is losing you." Hermione smiled and stood up. "We have to go; it's not fair to panic everyone." Fred stood up in agreement. "You go fight that bastard. I cant believe he's taking you from me."

"I love you 'Mione."
"I love you Freddie."

Part of Hermione wanted Fred to ask her to stay
Part of Fred wanted to ask Hermione to stay
But they both knew the other never would.

Together, the sad couple walked hand in hand back to the Burrow, not saying a word. They had said it all.