Chapter One

HAWKINS HIGH CAFETERIA
FEBRUARY 1986
EDDIE POV

Here I was. A super super senior. My sixth year of high school. I fucking hate it here. I sat at the Hellfire table Gareth and Jeff to my right, Greg, Dustin and Mike to my left. Dustin and Mike were my new little sheepies. I noticed them the first day of the school year. Two awkward little freshman along with Lucas Sinclair. Although that little shit seemed to be too in to basketball and not enough in to D&D these days.

It was Friday thank fuck. Two more classes after lunch and then I was out of here for the weekend. I was interrupted from my thoughts by Greg, Jeff and Gareth squabbling. "What are you girls bitching about now?" They turned to me and Gareth said "Jeff wants to postpone Hellfire this week." I raised my eyebrows and said "absolutely not. Why?" Jeff opened his mouth to answer before Greg beat him to it. "He fancies some girl and what's to go see her ice skating."

I snorted in derision and turned on Jeff. "Jeff just because you want to get your dick wet doesn't mean we're cancelling Hellfire. See her ice skating another night." "Ok 1. It's not ice skating! She does roller derby! And 2. Please Eddie! I really like this girl!" "Roller derby? Isn't that where chicks roller skate around in circles and cat fight at the same time?" Dustin snorted and I turned to him.

"Something to say Henderson?" "It's not quite catfighting. There's actually a points system involved and it does get pretty gnarly out there." "Henderson how have your sweet and innocent little eyes ever seen roller derby?" "Because V does roller derby." "Ah. The other Henderson we've never met. Your sister does roller derby?" "Yeah! Every Friday night! She's taken me heaps of times! Mom hates it and is convinced she's going to get beaten to death but it's actually amazing to watch!"

I sat there contemplating for a few moments. "Who's the girl Jeff?" "Her name's Ellie, she's on the same team as Dustin's sister. Who I'm yet to meet." "How did you meet her?" "I got her number at the record store a few weeks ago. She works there. Also along with Dustin's sister." I sat back in my chair and narrowed my eyes. "If I postpone the beginning of the campaign, what's in it for the rest of us?" "I'll bring all the snacks for a month?" "Deal!" "Wait really?" "Yeah! You've got me intrigued. I might come with you. Anyone else coming?" "There's no way my mom will let me." "Sucks to be you Wheeler. Gareth? Greg? Henderson?" "Aye!" "Aye!" "Aye!"

We all made plans to meet up tomorrow afternoon at Hendersons for Hellfire instead of tonight and go and see Dustin's sister and Ellie, the girl Jeff is slobbering over, in action at the roller derby rink.

Bunch of chicks in short shorts and skirts beating the daylights out of each other? Could be an interesting night.

VIOLET POV

"Dustin hurry up! I swear to Stevie Nicks if you make me la-....aww. Dusty that's really sweet!" I threw open his bedroom door to see him attempting to paint lines of colour in face paint on his cheeks in my teams colours, black and purple. Along with a number black number 21 he'd painted on to his purple T-shirt, 21 being my player number.

He smiled up at me through his braces as I ruffled his hair. "C'mere. Let me." I took the paint brush from his hand and held his face with the other to paint a purple and black stripe on either cheek. "Thanks sis." He pulled me in to a tight hug and said "you'll be careful tonight won't you?" "You know I always win Dusty. I'll kick their asses." "Hey is it cool some friends of mine are meeting us there?" "Oh yeah? Mike, Will and Lucas?" "No. Eddie and the rest of Hellfire." "Do I know them?" "No. But they're really cool guys! Eddie always comes up with these amazing campaigns and he was really nice to us on our first day of high school and I really want him to like me!"

He covered his mouth with his hand and his eyes went wide, that last part having been blurted out. I chuckled at him and pulled him into another hug. "Dusty you're the sweetest and coolest person on the planet. He must love you already." "You're my sister you're meant to say that." "Dustin shut up and take a complement. Let's go!" We both jogged down the stairs to see our mom waiting for us nervously. She's only been to one of my matches and it frightened the daylights out of her. She'd attempted to ban me from it but knew I'd just sneak out of the house and do it anyway.