Chapter Three

VIOLET POV

Dustin was driving me up the wall. His Hellfire friends were coming over for their campaign this afternoon. He was bouncing off the walls with excitement. Hellfire was usually held in a room at the school but due to it being Saturday the school was locked up. So Dustin had gracefully offered our house without checking with mom or I first.

Mom didn't care as she was away for a week visiting a friend, but I couldn't think of anything I wanted to do less than have a swarm of teenage boys in the house. Then, that cheeky shit of a brother of mine all but ordered me to make cupcakes. So here I was icing a bunch of cupcakes  for those shitheads. I thought back to mine and Dustin's argument this morning and rolled my eyes.

"Please V! It's just cupcakes!" "You make them! They're your friends!" "You know I can't bake!" "Then buy them!" "V please! PLEEEEEASE! Yours are way better than store bought! Please V! For me!" He stuck out his bottom lip and pouted, widening his blue eyes, the same as mine, at me. I knocked his cap off his head and said "you little shit. You know I can't ever say no to you!" He grinned in satisfaction and wrapped his arms around me in a tight hug. "Thanks V! Love you!"

Big bad Violent V, legendary Roller Derby player....and I'm making cupcakes for my little brothers nerd brigade on a Saturday night. I didn't have anything else to do. Billy was off with one of his many conquests and may come over later, but for now it was just me and Dustin at home. Soon to be me, Dustin and about 8 teenage boys. Great.

As I finished the last of the cupcakes and placed them under a cake dome so they didn't dry out I turned to Dustin. "Now a few ground rules. Don't tell your friends they can use my bathroom. Teenage boys are disgusting. And no raiding anything in my fridge! There's plenty of stuff up here in the kitchen." "You let Billy use your bathroom." "Billy is a gentleman and cleans up after himself around here." "Ok ok fine!"

The doorbell rang and Dustin bolted to the front of the house to see Will standing there with Joyce. Of all of Dustin's friends, I think Will was my favourite. He was the sweetest and most gentle natured kid on the planet. Joyce smiled when she saw me. "Is your mom home Violet?" "No just us. Moms away for a week. I'll be here the whole time though I promise." She smiled again and gave me a quick hug. "Thanks for letting them come here V." She turned to Will and said "Violets in charge you hear me? Call me when you're ready to come home and I'll come pick you up."

Will smiled at me and gave me a hug which I gladly returned. I really did love that sweet boy. "Thanks for having me Violet." "You're so welcome buddy. Joyce Will can stay the night if he'd like to." Wills face lit up and he turned to Joyce. "Can I mom? Please?" Joyce smiled and kissed his head telling him she'd collect him in the morning.

Dustin led Will in to the den where he'd set up a ping pong table with a dark cloth to set up their game. I followed Joyce outside and lit a cigarette along side her. "Violet those will kill you" she said as she lit her own making me snort. She grinned at me and said "thanks for keeping him overnight." "You can go on a date with Hopper tonight?" She blushed and said "don't know what you mean." "Oh please! I'm not blind Joyce!" She blushed even harder and said "we DID have dinner at Enzo's last week."

I grinned and smacked her arm excitedly just as Mike and Lucas rode in to the front yard on their bikes. I waved at them and they entered the house. "Dinner?! Did he stay over?" "Violet!" I laughed along side her and then a strange old van pulled into the driveway blaring metal music. As the doors opened a cloud of smoke exited and I saw Eddie, Gareth, Greg and Jeff as they climbed out laughing about something.

My smile dropped. I still didn't trust these older guys hanging around my little brother and his friends. Eddie waved in an almost sarcastic manner to me and said "evening Ms Byers. Violet. Thanks for letting us have Hellfire here tonight." I just jerked my head in the direction of the front door and continued my cigarette with Joyce.