The Baker Family (II)

At the Baker residence, you find yourself chilling on an old sofa, and besides you, Lucas. Moments before, the rest of the family welcomed you, but the son was getting anxious, so the two of you headed back to the attic in the kid's room.

"What a bunch of chatty old clowns." Lucas nags as he grasps his laptop from the desktop, sitting on the sofa again. You lean over, peeking at the screen from his shoulder.

"I think they were trying to be nice." you propose softly, but Lucas's face turns into some sort of mocking laugh.

"Nice? They ain' angels, y'know." he says, frowning, while typing like thunder. He seems to be writing in code, though your knowledge isn't enough to decipher what all those lines mean.

"Uhhmm..." you ruminate, focused on what he is doing. Lucas realizes it and sighs.

"The old man slapped my face while looking at my phone. I don't think that's normal," he tells you with a more intense drawl than usual. Hearing that was sad after such a warm welcome.

"Damn... I didn't see that comin'," you say, shocked. Jack didn't strike you as that strict, but it sure gave you an authoritarian image.

"We ain' a perfect family." he continues. You rub his back as consolation, but Lucas keeps working on it, though he grins warmly.

"So, what's your project about? You haven't told me yet, " you ask, avoiding the family matters coming out.

"Oh, that? Forget it. It was just an excuse to invite ya." giggling, Lucas says, your eyebrow raising in surprise. You hit him on the shoulder lightly, off-centering the laptop on his lap. Lucas then shuts down the pc, stands up, and starts rummaging through shelves again, still giggling like a kid.

"Wanna play a game?" he asks as he opens a closet full of boardgames, "We've got quite a lot... Wait... No, why don't we go to the recreation room?" he mumbles to himself. Turning his head around, he makes eye contact with you as if asking, 'Let's go there!'.

"Recreation room? What the heck? What's in there?" you ask while grabbing your coat, to which Lucas answers the following,

"We can play billiards there while eating or drinking. Also watching some TV, so why not?".

The proposal sounds perfect, fun, and pretty chill, so you agree that that is a good idea.

Lucas explains the history behind the massive mansion while walking down the corridors.

"These old geezers are traditional, so the whole family built this." he describes.

"So, this was, sorta like, where everyone reunited?" you query, to which Lucas nods,

"Yeah, this house is so big that everybody was welcomed, but they moved somewhere else. Y'know, because of the bayou and the hurricanes.". Continuing with the subject while he closes the door of another room, "My uncle lives right next to us, though there are lotta gators in that zone," Lucas adds. You can only imagine the struggle to cross the entire forest, dodging gators, just to pay a visit to the household. 'He sure must like swampy beasts cuz that's one hell of a ride just to say hi to your family.'.

It only took a few minutes to get to the recreation room. When you reach the doorknob and twist it, a freaking paradise opens. A beautiful billiard table in the middle, a TV, and what seems to be a bar stand with stools. Spacious as it is, the feeling of cozy lingers, making it family-oriented.