The Baker Family (I)

A few months after that incident with the guys, the day of going to Lucas's house came. The day is today. It couldn't be earlier due to bad weather and him living near a swampy area.

Still, an uncomfortable feeling lingers, making you remember what the rumors about him said.

" Dammit... Anyways, I think he should be around here.", you mumble to yourself.

*ding dong*

" I'm coming! " you shout from your room. You finish tidying your things, but then you hear a voice coming from the living room.

" I'm Jack. Jack Baker. I'm Lucas's father. I came to pick up Y/N." a man says with a strong southern accent, just like Lucas's drawl. As soon as you hear your name, you head downstairs. The man was in his fifties, dressed in a local style outfit. Has eyeglasses and his eyes are blue, just like Lucas's. He has a rustic vibe to him. He greets you, and so do you.

" Good afternoon, Mr. Baker." you greet him.

" Good afternoon. You must be Y/N, right? Lucas's waiting in the jeep. He is a shy boy, you know. I apologize for his behavior. " he says softly. He gives you a very soft-hearted impression while also being strict. Your parents chit-chat some more time and then bid you farewell. Jack does as well and soothes your family by informing them about the plan, opening the door, and you both walk away from your house in the direction of the jeep. The vehicle is a bit far from your residence since there wasn't any available parking slot close by. While walking down the street, Jack breaks the ice, trying to make the stroll comfortable.

" So, you're the new transfer student at LCS. Lucas told us about you," he says, smiling warmly.

" Yeah, I recently moved back to Louisiana due to money issues. And... Uhm... what did Lucas say about me? " you ask anxiously, praying for what Lucas told his father not to be anything inappropriate. Jack chuckles as he sees you nervous, but he comforts you by saying the following.

" Don't worry. Lucas only said you weren't one of those snobbish girls that flood college these days. By the way, you can join us at dinner, we would be glad if you do so.

" Thanks, Mr. Baker. And I'd love to join dinner! " you answer firmly. 'Thank God it wasn't anything inappropriate,' you think. When you eventually see the jeep, you spot a lump moving. Lucas, who is inside, looking at his phone whatever, turns his head to the window as he hears your footsteps and sees you both, Jack and you, approach, so he gets out of the car. He is wearing his usual hoodie and pants, just like in the morning.

"Took you a while, huh? I was getting bored," he whines, putting his hands in his pocket.

" Lucas... " Jack says seriously, in a soft tone to not appear angry. He nods at Lucas as if telling him you are there and he shouldn't have said that. Lucas understands that gesture and quickly changes his tone as well.

"I just wanna show you what I've been preparing there; you'll love it."

"I bet you will. Lucas, our boy, does wonders and acts as a handyman sometimes. Helping me fix things here and there." the middle-aged man says proudly. In the meantime, Lucas gets more impatient and cuts off the casual chat.

"C'mon. At this rate, we'll only have supper." says impatiently.

" Yeah, sorry for talking too much, Y/N. Let's go." Jack, Lucas, and you get in the car. Lucas sits next to you at the back of the jeep, but he takes his phone out again. You both don't converse, making an awkward silence. Perhaps due to his father being there, he was more reserved. To dissimulate, you look through the window, watching the bayou and the vegetation, which is dense because of trees and bushes. If it rained, it would become a large swamp, muddy even. Jack notes your awkwardness when looking through the rearview mirror and thinks about what to say to relieve the pressure. He comes up with a question about you two.