5. Change of plans

Bella Reynolds

This day wasn't supposed to be like this. This year. I want it to be a fucking dream. If this is a dream, then I'm sure, Adam Walton, the villain of my life, the forest green-eyed devil is controlling it.

How is that even possible that he is a prosecutor now? I mean, wasn't he handling Camila Greg's case? It is possible that one can switch from being a public defender to a prosecutor, but in my case, this seems unnatural.

How can the man I despise the most in the whole world end up being the prosecutor of my husband's case? Why can't I get rid of this man? Why God why? No doubt he sounded so confident at the gym when he said his last venomous words.

''Right. See you in court.''

There was just one place where I didn't see Adam as an enemy, and that was the court. Not anymore.

This brings me back to the memory of my first-ever win in court after two failed cases. My client's name was Albert Martin, and he was falsely charged with his wife's murder. Well, after lots of trials and help from my friend, Aaron, it was found that his wife faked her death. She was very much alive and just wanted revenge on Albert.

The point of this memory is not that, but the prosecutor in charge of that case. Addison Connor was handling that case as a prosecutor, and she was also in law school with me and Adam. That bitch never liked me. I didn't feel very good about her either. Nobody truly liked me at law school, as I was an antagonistic, unapproachable bitch.

I don't like people very much. People make me uncomfortable, and being uncomfortable makes me look weak. And looking weak is my biggest fear. So whenever I have to talk to any person, I just show them my best antagonistic behavior.

That bitch started hating me when I interrupted her make-out session with Adam. I mean, if you don't want me to ruin your precious moment, don't fucking make out like animals in front of my locker. At least, have the decency to do it in front of yours. That was the first time I saw both her and Adam. The whole time I was telling Addison how she should have respected other people's lockers, Adam was quiet. But I could feel his eyes on me from the corner of my eyes. So I looked at him just to tell him to look somewhere else if he wants to be alive to see another day.

That's when I noticed his forest-green eyes. My first thought was, why does God give such beautiful eyes to people with antagonistic personalities? It was my second thought. My first thought was, damn, God took his time creating this one.

If I am an antagonist, then he is a pro-ultra antagonist.

I immediately got negative vibes from both of them, so I decided to drop the topic. After arguing with me for what felt like an eternity, she left angrily, leaving Adam and me alone. I waited for Adam to leave right after her, but he stayed for a minute longer.

The only exact thing I remember from that day is Adam's words, before leaving me alone, shocked and angry at his make-out place.

''You should try using that pretty mouth of yours for other fun things too. Maybe then you won't be so uptight.''

He didn't even give me a chance to give him a shut-up call. Plus, he shamelessly winked at me before leaving. I declared him insane, antagonistic, shameless, cocky, and chauvinist on the spot.

The point is, Addison tried her best to beat me in that case but instead made a fool out of herself. I wonder if she is still in touch with Adam. But I never saw them cross paths after their make-out session. They might have realized that their negative energies combined were too daunting for each other, and parted ways. That seems to be the only satisfying reason for me.