16. Lusting over the enemy

Bella Reynolds

"You."

"I'm not late, am I?" My husband says with a smile. If I didn't know better I'd say it's an evil smile. There was a time when I found his smile charming, but now it's fucking annoying.

"I didn't ask for you to come," I reply calmly. I don't know if he is the one who hid the letter three years ago, but I am sure he is capable of doing that.

"Come on, babe. I know you miss me. Let's just forget about that fight," he takes a step towards me. I try not to move backward.

"Rendell, I'm busy. I can't deal with you right now. Just leave me alone. Aaron will be here any minute, so don't waste my time," I sigh annoyingly.

He ignores the part where I said I'm busy. "Bella, don't you miss me?"

First, you tell me if you are the reason I couldn't get my mother's last letter to me, asshole?

"Rendell, we will talk about that after the next trial. Just focus on not lying to me for now," I tell him.

"Bella, why can't you-

"What's the update of Adam Walton flirting with you, Bells?"

Aaron's loud voice interrupts Rendell.

"What?" Rendell looks at me with wide eyes.

"Oh, hey, Bella's husband. You are here too," Aaron says awkwardly. I can't believe Aaron said that in front of Rendell.

"What the fuck, Bella? Is he talking about the same Adam Walton who happens to be that rude prosecutor?" Rendell raises his voice.

I ignore his question. "Rendell, can we talk some other time?"

"Hell, no. That man is flirting with my fucking wife, and I'm learning about it just now?"

Well, you were busy being an asshole.

"It's nothing. He was just messing with me. That's how he is," I clarify.

"Oh, so now you know him. Have you slept with him too?" He accuses me.

God, the audacity of this man.

"Are you insane? Why would you say that?" I raise my voice to his level.

"I don't know what else to think," he raises his eyebrow.

Aaron clears his throat and says, "Man, it's nothing. Adam's family is friends with Lily. Also, Adam was in law school with Bella."

"You and that prosecutor studied law together. When were you planning on telling me that? Why didn't you tell me?" Rendell takes another step towards me. I don't back away.

"Like you tell me anything, Rendell. I'm not bound to tell you everything. My life is my own and you don't get to tell me how to live it," I poke my finger at his chest.

"Bella, calm down. It's not the time to argue. Let's just all sit down," Aaron suggests.

"No, Aaron. He doesn't get to question my character," I say without breaking eye contact with Rendell.

"Are you fighting with me for that prosecutor?"

God, my urge to beat him good rises.

"He has a name, use it. And no, I'm fighting for myself."

Wait. Did I just defend Devil Walton? I have a feeling this isn't going to end well.

"I don't like him. You will stay away from him," Rendell orders like he owns me.