18. Another Car Ride?

Bella Reynolds

"Take deep breaths, Cherry. There's no way in hell I'm letting you die in my arms today."

My heart is beating so fast like it's screaming at me. Adam fucking Walton hugging me? I can't breathe, and not because I'm having an anxiety attack but because the man who's tightly hugging me feels so warm, so safe, and smells heavenly.
My anxiety attack is long forgotten. He's breathing near my ear. If Adam wasn't my sworn enemy, I'd say this close proximity between us is hot, but because he's my enemy and I am a realist, this shouldn't be happening.
It's weird on so many levels. First, I'm married. Second, I can feel his bulge between my butt cheeks. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. This is so weird. I should tell him to get the fuck away from me, yet my mouth is dry from all the tension in the air.

Oh, God. I need a distraction. Something. Anything.
Two things happen at the same time. First, a low moan comes out of my mouth. Two, the elevator doors open.
"Fuck."
Adam's annoying as fuck brother stands in front of the elevator with a guy, I'm assuming someone from maintenance.

The realization of our compromising position hits me at the same time it hits Adam. We get away from each other like we just touched a person with AIDS. I straighten my clothes unable to look at the person who just saved me from my anxiety attack.
I'm heavily sweating. I pick up my Birkin from the floor ready to leave.

"You look like you just cried a whole river," Aiden says with a shit-eating grin on his face.

"Not now, Aiden," Adam warns him in a stern voice before I can process what to answer.

I ignore Aiden's rude comment and get out of the elevator without sparing a single look at the devilishly handsome man who surprisingly happens to be good at dealing with anxiety attacks.

I take the stairs and enter the gallery after an eternity, hyperventilating.
I find Grandi in less than a minute.
"Sweetheart, where were you? I told you to take a ride with me. What's the matter? You don't look too well," she asks with concern on her face.

"Grandi, I'm not feeling very well. I am just going to congratulate Mrs Walton for the opening of Florence and then leave," I reply leaving out the details.

"Oh, honey, are you okay? I'll go home with you."

"No, you should stay. I'll be good on my own."

"James will take you home. Oh, Adam, how are you?"

Even if she hadn't said Adam's name, I'd still known Adam entered the room. I'm hyper-aware of his presence. It's always been like this. The reason is unknown.

He stands an inch away from me, but his touch is still fresh in my mind.
"Lily, it's very good to see you. How was Australia?" he asks.

"Not bad. Look at you. You look like you just got out of a fight."

This time I do turn around and look at Adam for the first time after our I don't know what. His hair is all messy, but he makes it look so hot. His face looks tired as if he hasn't slept for days. My eyes go to his hands. Oh, my God. There are fingernail scratches on his wrist.

Shit. Shit. Shit. I did it. He must hate me a lot because of it. What if his girlfriend misunderstands this and breaks up with him? That's only if he's got one.

He notices my stare and clears his throat. I meet his eyes and give him an apologetic look.

"But the good thing is I won the fight," he replies without breaking eye contact with me. And then he does what he does best. Raises his eyebrow and smirks.

If it were some other day, this gesture of him would make me furious, but today it doesn't and it is making me even more furious. His double-meaning reply to Grandi makes me want to break his perfectly aligned teeth.