chapter thirteen. fall back into place.

chapter thirteen - fall back into place.

THEY HAD TWO DAYS LEFT IN THE SCHOOL YEAR, AND ONLY ONE DAY LEFT OF EXAMS. She sat on one of the benches outside, her textbook in her lap as she studied with Marina, Yoko, and Enid. She listens to them talk about different Carnivorous Plants, waiting for the bell to signal to them that it was time to take their exams. 

"How long is it? And what is it even over? This is so stupid!" Enid huffed, shutting her book and slamming it on the table.

"I think it's two-ish hours, I don't know what it's over though," Marina said, standing up and packing her bag, getting ready for the bell, the bell rang, and the rest of the girls stood up.

"I'll see you guys after, all right? Enid's dorm?" Yoko suggested. Murmurs of agreement passed around the group as they split up, going to their assigned exam rooms. She walked towards the art room. Once she got there she notice the connected tables that were normally there were replaced by individual desks spread throughout the entire room. She sat down at the desk with her name on it, sighing as she leaned on her palm. 

It was going to be a long day.

Vesta and Enid sat on her bed, her hands sitting in her lap as she painted her nails bright neon colors

Vesta and Enid sat on her bed, her hands sitting in her lap as she painted her nails bright neon colors. Marina and Yoko sat on the floor, doing the same. They had been chatting about their summer plans, Vesta hadn't thought about it much about her summer, maybe getting a new job or something, Maybe drive to Albany to see Xavier. 

"Okay, your all good, just don't touch anything for like ten minutes." Enid said, moving Ves' hands off her lap carefully. Vesta sat there and listened to her friends, Yoko had been talking about her family back in Pennsylvania, and how she had a new sibling but wasn't able to see her because of school. On the opposite side of the family spectrum, Enid was dreading going home to her mother and brothers because she still hadn't wolfed out. Marina had also been excited to go home to her grandparents and her twin siblings. 

The knocks brought the girls out of their conversation, Ms. Thornhill opened the door, peeking her head inside the dorm. "Lights out, C'mon girls." She opened the door wider, holding it for the girls who were saying goodbye to each other. Vesta split from the other two, walking towards the northernmost tower than only held her own dorm. She scaled the ridiculous amount of steps, she twisted her doorknob, pushing open her door to see Xavier standing in the middle of her room. 

She quickly closed her door, looking around at the messy state of her room. Half of her stuff was packed, paintings and drawing strung on her wall were the only things left aside from a pile of clothes on her bed. "Hey, I remembered you said you were leaving early tomorrow, I just wanted to give you this in case I didn't see you." He held out a small red box, with a matching stick-on-bow on top. 

"Can I open it now?" She asked.

"Yeah,"

She opened the box, a leather cord bracelet sat on top of white tissue paper, a little silver charm in the shape of a flame hung from the cord. Vesta picked it up, twirling it around in her fingers, a large smile on her face as she looked at it.

"The day after the Rave'N I noticed you lost your mothers necklace, so this can take it's place for when you find it." He explained, looking down at her with reddend cheeks as she smiled up at him.

"Thank you, thank you so much, Xavier." She untied the braclet, struggling to tie it onto herself with the box in her other hand. Xavier stepped closer to Vesta, their chests practically touching as he delicately tied the bracelet on her wrist. She looked up at him, his cool breath fanning over her brown skin. He looked down at her- or at her lips more specifically. She did the same, her eyes trailing the little details about his face, his light brown hair was down again, little stray strands drooped in front of his green eyes. 

Vesta cleared her throat, backing up, looking down as he slowly let go of her wrist. His hands were cold, she thought. "Thank you, again. You have no idea how much this means to me." She said. He swallowed, shaking his head. 

"Goodnight, Vesta." He said, walking towards her door. 

"Goodnight, Xavier."